Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jingle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: jingle Reply with quote

Does any one remember the jingle we used to sing, something about
" Come to East Hills come to East Hills,if wasnt for a Combesy it would be a paradise".
I think Mr Combes must have been the camp mamager, that I think would have been around 1961.
Vicky Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: jingle Reply with quote

Johnb wrote:
Does any one remember the jingle we used to sing, something about
" Come to East Hills come to East Hills,if wasnt for a Combesy it would be a paradise".
I think Mr Combes must have been the camp mamager, that I think would have been around 1961.

I remember that song that the kids used to sing at East Hills, we were there from 1961-1963, does anyone remember the bridge near East Hills station flooding and having to use a row boat to get across to get the train to go to work at the station.
Does anyone remember a Dutch family called Armon they went to live in Liverpool I think, one of them married my friend Elly, I think their boys were called Willium and John, I have just visited the site of the old hostel today, on our travels around Australia from Perth, and would of loved to of gone through the fenced gates and just had a look around, had a great time as a teenager at this site, and remember them coming and hosing down the metal roofs on the nissen huts during the heat of the summer to try and cool them down.
Hollander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vicky,

I think you might mean the Ramon family. They had sons named Joep, Willem, John and Lane. We knew them in Amsterdam and we followed them to Australia in 1964. They met us on arrival in Sydney and we spent our first few days in Australia at their house in Macquarie Fields (not far from Liverpool). Willem married Elly in the early 60s. Elly was also from Holland. I still see them from time to time and saw Elly only a few weeks ago at the annual Holland Festival. I've always been very fond of the Ramons:-)
Btw I lived on East Hills Hostel for most of 1965. Our hut was in the far rear corner, near the creek.

Ed Jonker
Johnb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Remembering a dutch girl Reply with quote

I remember a Dutch girl that lived on the front row of huts opposite the shop, i think her name was Annie Ousta????????? I remeber her as being a very happy young lady, I met her once at the Bankstown Swimming Pool, was going to go back to the hostel with her in the afternoon after school but I was put on detension and never made it Sad Sad that would have been around November 1961
I wonder what ever happened to her.
Johnb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Remembering a dutch girl Reply with quote

I remember a Dutch girl that lived on the front row of huts opposite the shop, i think her name was Annie Ousta????????? I remeber her as being a very happy young lady, I met her once at the Bankstown Swimming Pool, was going to go back to the hostel with her in the afternoon after school but I was put on detension and never made it Sad Sad that would have been around November 1961
I wonder what ever happened to her.
Vicky Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: The Ramon Family Reply with quote

I have been back in Australia for 32 years now, married with 3 children and have been looking for Ellie for quite some time now, often wondered what happend to her and Villium, the next time that you see her could you please give her my fondest regards? we worked at Buckinghams in Sydney together and met there, it has since burnt down, would love to talk to her again, I was only 16 and Elly was 15 I think when we went back to England on the Stratheden, thank you so much for your reply.
Cbennik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Ramon Family Reply with quote

Vicky Smith wrote:
I have been back in Australia for 32 years now, married with 3 children and have been looking for Ellie for quite some time now, often wondered what happend to her and Villium, the next time that you see her could you please give her my fondest regards? we worked at Buckinghams in Sydney together and met there, it has since burnt down, would love to talk to her again, I was only 16 and Elly was 15 I think when we went back to England on the Stratheden, thank you so much for your reply.

Well Vicky ...here I am! I wasn't able to send you a private message yet as I haven't posted enough whatever... It's just amazing finding you after all these years. I tried to find you when the internet became available many years ago. So much to say...Willem & I are still married after 47 years. I still have all the letters you wrote to me. If you can contact me through this privately do it and I'll reply to you asap. We are both very well. Hope you are too. This is just amazing....Luv Elly
Vicky Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Hi Elly Reply with quote

It seems so strange after all of these years to be able to contact you, I was in Sydney with a company that I worked for around 8 years ago and missed your brother by only a matter of days, they said he had moved from his house.You can contact me on [email protected] any time or my mobile number is 0418112233, after all of these years Elly you would never of thought it! You would have remembered me as Vicky Lawrence, which was my maiden name. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: