Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Williamstown hostel between 1959- 1962

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padiho

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Williamstown hostel between 1959- 1962 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I was at the Williamstown hostel roughly between 1959- 1961 I know we left in 1961 to return to England at the age of 13.
I have some wonderful memories of my time there but have so often thought of the friends I made, what happened to them etc.
My name at the time before marriage was Diane Reed, I went to Williamstown High School and lived on the hostel with my Mum and Dad.
My best friend who I have never forgotten was a girl called Anne Acton. She had a younger brother and if I remember rightly his name was John ( not entirely sure of that ...a loooong time ago ) we both played in the netball team. We played together with a group and the other names that spring to mind were, Tommy Watson, Terry Ruck.
If anyone has any memories of me or the others mentioned I would love to hear from you. Many Thanks
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lived on the hostel 1962-1964 and I remember Anne Acton,don't remember her brother though was he older or younger than her ? Pat may remember though she was on the hostel in 1961
Padiho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Anne Acton Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
Anne's brother was younger. I can't remember exactly but I think he was some 4-5 years younger.

I did email Pat but not sure whether she received it.

Browsing through the photos that have been posted online,I came across the photo of the two girls hanging from the monkey bars. I am the the older of the two girls and the younger girl was called Bev.
I came across a photo the other day which I will try to post online. It shows Anne and some other friends of mine saying goodbye as the ship left Melbourne to bring us back to England
John Acton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Anne acton Reply with quote

Diane look under new members John Acton and yes I am 8 years younger than my sis Anne and 4 years younger than sis karen.
Padiho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anne acton Reply with quote

[quote="John Acton"]Diane look under new members John Acton and yes I am 8 years younger than my sis Anne and 4 years younger than sis karen.[/quote

Hi John I can't believe it, I'm so excited to hear from you that I can't find the new members page!!!!
Would it be possible for you to pm me? I would so love to hear how Anne got on, we had so many good times together and I have often thought of her over the years. I remember you but not your other sister, having said that now you have mentioned her something is stirring in the back of my mind. Are you and Anne still in Aus?
John Acton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Anne Acton Reply with quote

Hi, yes we are still all in aust we took a sojourn back to the uk in 1970 lasted about 18 months in worseley Manchester then came back and there has been no complaints about aust ever , not that they ever forget because they always talk about past events and mainly the uk weather. I have contacted Anne and told her about the web site so she should go and have a look . I think if you put pics of you and her on the site she will have a brain explosion like I have done, since reading people's experiences on the hostel my mind is so much clearer and seeing pics just seemed to enhance the memories. I could not believe it, yesterday I went on the site for the first time and I read yours first up as you had the right dates in I nearly fell over backwards, I said to my wife have a look at this she said small world . Anyhow Diane if you write a blog Anne should respond soon. regards John Acton[/b]
Padiho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I have sent a pm to you. Can you let me know whether you received it ok as my sent box is showing as empty!!
Jan Wright Jan Wright has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: contact between John Acton and Padyho Reply with quote

Hi Padyho, John Acton has emailed me asking for my help to reconnect the two of you as he has lost contact. I don't know why John has asked me but presume that he saw I was a member and he emailed me. Anne, his sister, appears to have lost contact too. If you wish to please drop me an email [email protected] and I will pass the message on. Alternatively John's email address is [email protected]

That is the address that he sent it from to me anyway, perhaps a brother?

Kind regards

Jan Wright

Bradfield Park May 1966 - June 1968
Padiho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jan

Not quite sure why you were contacted but I appreciate you following it up
Jan Wright Jan Wright has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: contact between John Acton and Padyho Reply with quote

Hi Padyho, no problem I was glad to help. John has emailed me to say thanks and that you are in touch again. Brilliant news Very Happy

Best regards

Jan

Bradfield Park May 1966 - June 1968
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: