Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost friends and memories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Lost friends and memories Reply with quote

1954 Cabramatta Hostel from England S.S.Strathaird. From Cabramatta to Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong. Various moves as dad became a Hostel Manager whilst at Cabramatta. My friends were the Gibbons, Bates, Kerwin and Brent. Caught up with Nicky Brent a couple of years ago. We spent a week in Bali catching up on 'stories'. From Cabramatta to Fairfield on the old steam train, then a walk to F/field High and daily it was fisty cuffs, until we lost our accents hahaha.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name Faint rings a bell.What was your Dad's first name. My husband was also a hostel manager and like you we were transferred around :)

Was the Gibbons boy at Cabramatta called Joey? We used to be close to their hut. just uut the gate. I remember the Gibbons family well though don't know where they are now. Knew quite a few kids when we were there in 1956-57.
We were at Cabramatta a second time in 1965
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Gibbons Family Reply with quote

Thanks for responding Phyl. Yes Joey was the youngest, father a painter upon the Harbour Bridge (?), Ralph was my age, and Jenny the sister. With the Brents, Kirwins and Bates we sailed from England on the Strathaird April 1954. When we first arrived in Cabramatta the most lucrative work was at Rum Jungle in the Northern Territory, when dad (Jim dcd.) told mum (Queenie dcd.), you could have heard her scream from the bush opposite Gibbons hut....her 'pioneering days' were over !!!! hahaha guess what, apart from the moves 'as listed' dad with Com Hostels made a transfer to Com. Native Affairs and moved to the Northern Territory in 1961 as Superintendent Beswick Creek (now Barunga) then District Welfare Officer Katherine, Alice Springs and Gove however, being' attached' to Head Office in Darwin he was able to secure a home for Queenie not having to experience any more 'pioneering moves'. Coincidence, my first work in the Territory was at Rum Jungle followed by an acceptance as Manager with Com. (now) Aboriginal Affairs, the many moves must have been in my blood hahaha, I took postings at Bagot, Melville Island, Arnhem Land Maningrida, Groote Eylandt and Wave Hill.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Gibbons Family Reply with quote

Hi again Phyl, the last I saw of the Gibbons family was either late 60's or early 70's. I was on leave down south and tracked Ralph and family to Smithfield or Fairfield West, just about to the rear of the nearby Hotel. Mr. Gibbons (Joey Snr. ?) had died as a result of (reportedly) falling from the Sydney Harbour Bridge. From recent enquiries (2011) Ralph is in Hospital/or Home with bad case of (reportedly) Dementure. Jenny is still around and visits him.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Norm,
That is so tragic. I feel sad about them.

Have you read the hostel news clipping in this forum? Mrs. Gibbons is in that.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: great news Reply with quote

I am still hopefull of locating Irene Cross formally of East Hills Hostel 1955/56
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: