Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our happiest time in Australia (Opposite Bunnerong Hostel).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Our happiest time in Australia (Opposite Bunnerong Hostel). Reply with quote

Link

1957...........and a few more recent looks in the street.
(It's a bit messy. Don't have the same video equipment any more and photos were made smaller for the www, before and now they need to be big again for video.)

Jo
--
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ozcloggie
Len

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Jo. I really enjoyed watching it. Excellent!

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Len. You've made me conscious of how I SHOULD add some 'annotations' to explain what's being said and what's going on.
Thanks for having a look.

Jo
Bill Ashton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Great fiick Reply with quote

Hi Jo, That was a great flick you put toether. We arrived in aus in 1967 and stayed at Bunnerwong. It was great to see what the place looked like in the late fivtys. When we arrived Hillsdale was booming. Blocks of flats every were.
Now the shopping center has a big block of flats on top of it.Sose thats what thay call procrese A. Regards Bill
Migrated to Aus in 67. Mum Dad and 5 kids.We lived on 9 block when we lived there. Dad cooked in the kitchings there for some years. I think he was the union rep there too.his name was George and mums name Nancy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for taking a look, Bill. It seems strange to see an empty field / paddock, where once so many people started lives, in Australia.
Haven't been past again for a number of months.
When I HAVE driven through the area, the memories flood back.
As I think, I've written here, before, too, it seemed funny to speak to the man who lived opposite us, in Flint Street, when I was there last.
He STILL lived there. Had lived not far away, closer to Matraville shopping centre, as a boy.
It felt like someone standing still, while for us, so many things had happened!

I am just trying to say how it seems funny that some people can happily live in one place all their lives, while we moved to the other side of the earth.

Jo
Bill Ashton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yer jo, I know what you meen.I go past there at least once a week and i can still picture the hostel there. I remember playing on the basket ball court there . that is still there but used as a car park. I remember blowing up the doctors letter box across the road. with 2p cracker. The big bomfire thay had at the front of the hostel at our first cracker night in australia in 67. Thay were fun days. I am now 52 and we left England when i was 9 and i have only been back to the old dart once. Man i was clad to get back here. thay say theres no place like home but i say theres no place like the place down under.
Regards Bill
Migrated to Aus in 67. Mum Dad and 5 kids.We lived on 9 block when we lived there. Dad cooked in the kitchings there for some years. I think he was the union rep there too.his name was George and mums name Nancy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, I'll state that I feel like Grandpa Simpson, repeating and repeating anecdotes.
But the bonfires that we saw when travelling from the wharf in Melbourne, to Bonegilla, making me think that we'd arrived on the American prairies, that I'd read about in a then popular book, in the Netherlands, get another airing here.
I reckon I can remember the wood stacked up for the bonfire(s).
Although 1967 was when I'd been transferred to teach in Maude via Hay.

Jo
Spike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoopMul wrote:
As always, I'll state that I feel like Grandpa Simpson, repeating and repeating anecdotes.
---snip--

Jo
Just keep it up Jo, if possible try to record your memories in any way you can, you are part of Australia's modern history that will soon be nothing but a dim memory unless people can make some small record of it.

Your movie is excellent,... it's just a great pity that so much has already gone and there's hardly any record of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Spike.
I do have trust that both my daughter and my son, born in Sydney, listened well enough not only to me but also my parents' stories, to pass on the more relevant / salient / bits.
Thanks very much for looking and caring.

Jo(op)

Spike wrote:
JoopMul wrote:
---snip--

Jo
Just keep it up Jo, if possible try to record your memories in any way you can, you are part of Australia's modern history that will soon be nothing but a dim memory unless people can make some small record of it.

Your movie is excellent,... it's just a great pity that so much has already gone and there's hardly any record of it.

Spike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be to do with getting older. Years ago I never thought anything of these events, but now that I'm retired and got time on my hands, I often reminisce about my childhood and the things we all saw and took part in, particularly how much things have changed.

It would be a pity if no one thought to record at least some of it.
Jan Wright Jan Wright has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Film Reply with quote

What a great film of your early days settiling in Australia and more recent film too. I really enjoyed watching it. Thanks - Jan Wright

Bradfield Park May 1966 - June 1968
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: