Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello, fellow Heathcote Hostelers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluebird

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Hello, fellow Heathcote Hostelers Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I arrived as an 11yr old with my family in Oct 1966......and distinctly remember screaming in horror at the sight of our accomodation. Memories flooding back of that night.....arriving at 11pm....getting reprimanded for crying due to fear!! Soon learnt to adapt to life on Heathcote Hostel. Dried up jam sandwiches for school lunch....fond memories!! :)
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bluebird. We emmigrated on the 7th of August 1966 to East Hills Hostel, right across the road from you! We must have been neighbours. I used to play in the soccer and cricket teams and we regularly came over to Heathcote to pick up other youths for the team. Did you have any siblings I might have known? I went to Hammondville PS, then Liverpool Boys High. Regards, Richard Hallford.
Bluebird

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard

I also went to Hammondville PS....we used to sing songs on the bus ...we moved away after 5 months on Heathcote Hostel......It got hot in those huts we lived in....in the summer. I played softball for a short time while we were there. Siblings aren't interested in any memories of those times, only me. Smile
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bluebird. No it certainly wasn't the Ritz was it? And those tin huts did get hot! I arrived there aged 13 in 1960
Bluebird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chrisnic

Thankyou for the welcome.....we had some lovely neighbours which made it easier to cope with!! :)
Joy52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a new member and was on Heathcote 1962-64. When we first arrived there was a Scottish woman who was so horrified that she hid underneath the seat on the bus and refused to get off as she was going "hame". I went to Hammondville PS and also remember singing all the way there and all the way back. One bus driver made us get off the bus and walk as we were so loud and unruly. There were also a lot of fights between us and East Hills kids with stones being hurled both ways. What a lot of hooligans we were! We moved to NZ in 1964 and made a good life for ourselves.
Bluebird

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joy

I also remember singing on the bus on the way to and from school. I haven't been here for quite a while...forgot my password. It was a huge shock for people ...those huts....were shockers!! haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: