Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost friends and fond memories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Lost friends and fond memories Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for sharing your photos. Many of that you have described were akin to Williamstown Hostel 1956, but I do know that there was an Altona Hostel, former friends were there that came over on the same boat 1954 S.S.Strathaird. Self and sister started 'growing up' at Williamstown. Our house was directly opposite the old Grandstand, from memory there was a small bridge crossing a small creek near the Grandstand our back yard had a sandy track to the beach. Dad was a Hostel Manager, often away on training courses or relieving. Picture night was 'kiss lessons' hahaha, taught by Joyce, practiced with Susan. Learnt photography, silver paper paintings and hair-cutting with Alan. Sorry surnames elude me as we lost diary's and photo's in Cyclone Tracy, Darwin 1974.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamstown Hostel was renamed Altona hostel, it was the same place. Later on it became Wiltona Hostel.
larkcons

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We came over from Scotland in the Strathnaver in 1956 and lived in the hostel untill 1959. There were several houses on the grandstand side of Koroit creek, which were purchased at auction and relocated elsewhere.
My father purchased one of these houses and put it on the back of a low loader and transported it to wilds of West Altona. ( No roads, power, water, sewerage, phones etc).
One of these houses is still there in Madstone Street but ours is long gone.
I have many memories of the trip over, the hostel, the smells, the canteen food and how cold it was in the Nissen huts on a bitumen floor.

Often visit this site and many names are familiar from St Mary's Altona, Altona High School etc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating! Was your house also in Maidstone Street and do you have any photos? When we arrived in 1964 there was only one Nissen hut, used as a recreation hall. We lived in rows of asbestos huts and not surprisingly, a sinister number of residentsdied prematurely, or came down with rare forms of cancer. Bitumen floors would have stank in the summer. Migrants wouldn't put up with that now.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my goodness bituman floors? are you sure.I lived in hostels from 1954 to 1973 in different hostels but don't remember floors like that. Tell me more.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Name changes & bitumine Reply with quote

Thanks Aussietrekker, once re-named to Altona, was the Hostel at Altona vacated towards 'progress' ?....Likewise Phyl, from the number of Hostels we lived at, none that I know of had bitumen floors, perhaps bitumised under the raised Nissens but then, dont remember that either, perhaps one meant, the vynal tiles with what appeared bitumised backings ?
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about progress, but by the time we got there in 1964, the accommodation was rows of asbestos huts and the only nissen hut was the rec room.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had heard before that someone had said Williamstown/Altona hostel had Nissen huts. By 1963 that had changed, and I have to wonder why as it was the only hostel I know of that no longer had them. Brooklyn, Maribyrnong, Holmsglen, Nunnawading, Springvale and Preston all still had them. Not sure about Fisherman's Bend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish we'd still had Nissen huts, those asbestos jobs may have been what caused an alarming incidence of cancer and premature deaths among our families. On the bright side, the walls were great sound conductors if you wanted to have a good laugh at the neighbours having a row!
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right Judith, but I guess we'll never really know.

I was trying to remember all the hostels that were around Melbourne at that time, and could only remember 8, but today saw the name of the ninth, so the nine are:-
Altona, Broadmeadows, Brooklyn, Fishermen's Bend, Holmsglen, Maribyrnong, Nunawading, Preston and Springvale.

The only one's left still standing in some form are Altona and Maribyrnong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: