Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Hills Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARSHA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: East Hills Hostel Reply with quote

Hiya, my name is Marsha
I lived at East Hills Hostel from 1964-1967 as a young teen. My dad died a few weeks after we arrived in Oz so we had a long stay. My mum worked at the canteen for the time we were there untill probate came through. I have twin brothers Martin and Andrew Narey. We lived in number 120. I remeber the bushfires, the red bellies, guitars down at the wash sheds, Skip, Jed and so much more. Have got some cute photo's of the Creek.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marsha

I remember those bushfires too .Very scary. We were there late 1967 -1971.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha I am so sorry your father died so soon after arriving in Australia.
It must have been very hard for your mother having to work and bring her children up alone in a new country and I take my hat off to her.Is your mother still alive? Please give her my regards.
MARSHA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Happy New Year 2013 Reply with quote

Hi Phyl,

thanks for your reply. My mum Joyce certainly did it tough, but managed to put a brave face on for most of her life. Enjoying good health, good luck and making many friends till she passed a few years ago in Brisbane where she had come to live with us.

I remember some folks went around to the huts on East Hills Hostel collecting money and dropped off this big bag of $$, (no! it would have been pounds), to help with the funeral of my dad. I'd never seen so much cash in my life.

Amazingly, I've been able to connect up with a family who were very helpful and supportive to us in those early days. Somehow it helps with the healing and simplifies livinging the present...currently based in Malaysia untill the work's finished here.

Anyway nice to chat.
Wishing you peace, as well as an eventfull and exciting Happy New Year 2013

regards

Marsha
Bluebird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MARSHA

I'm sorry to hear that your father passed away so soon after arriving here and that you all went on to live good lives!! I remember those early days on Heathcote Hostel much more clearly these days!! Nice to meet you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: