Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bradfield Park 1959-61

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterv

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Bradfield Park 1959-61 Reply with quote

I have previously posted on the Bradfield Park forum but will put a brief introduction here.

My parents, myself aged 7, and two younger brothers sailed on the Fairsea from Southampton via Naples, Port Said, Aden, Perth and Melbourne. We arrived in Sydney in May 1959. Our plans were rather more determined than some others, as my father was a teacher sponsored by the NSW State Government. We tied up in Woolloomooloo at 1:30pm, but it was dark by the time we left.

We were driven by the "Welfare Officer" in a car to Orana at Dulwich Hill, where we stayed for a week. Our meals were even paid for in a local cafe. I see from http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/dulwich_hill that Orana became a Migrant Hostel from 1962 to 1976.

We then moved on to Bradfield Park - my parents initial view was not positive, and my mother's health suffered in the difficult environment. We were in the State "Housing Settlement" rather than the Commonwealth Migrant Hostel which was adjacent. The conditions were similar, but we had the advantage of both a bathroom (with chip heater) and a wood stove in our third of the hut.

I and one brother attended Bradfield Park school, which I believe was exclusively for residents of the Migrant Hostel and Housing Settlement. The main friends I can recall were the Hills and James families, who also came on the Fairsea and were in a similar situation. We stayed at Bradfield Park whilst our house was built on the northern outskirts of Sydney, finally leaving in May 1961.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: