Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berkeley Judo club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Berkeley Judo club Reply with quote

Anyone join the Berkeley Judo club.
Henry Lewiston started the judo club at Berkeley Hostel, 1967 ish.

Fergie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Former Berkeley Judo Club. Reply with quote

There is no longer a Judo Club at Berkeley, but there was one was run by a guy called Mark. I unsuccessfully tried to find his entry about that club on this site this morning.

The Illawarra International Judo Club runs classes at the Ian McLennan Park at Kembla Grange, the nearby suburb where there is a race course , golf club and an industrial area.

Annually some of the young men from the club door knock around Berkeley to canvass members.
Len

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don�t think that anyone with the name of Mark has posted about the Berkeley Judo Club.
Mick Cutajar signed my guest book in 2004 and he runs his own club.

Guest Book Here

Smile
Len

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last information I heard about the Berkeley judo club was that it had moved to the Berkeley Sports and Social Club but that was a while ago. Not sure who was running it but I presume it would have been Henry Lewiston.
Fergie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Berkeley and Judo Reply with quote

Mick had a judo class at the Berkeley Community Centre for a while [2007-8] but has moved to Kembla Grange, so afsfar as I am aware there is no Judo in Berkeley now.

Henry Lewiston is alive and well - and his son is passing on my phone number to contact so I can send a link to this site to him. I am sure he would like to see the 1971 photo.
Len

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Fergie.

In the photo above, there is (starting from the back left) John Moxham, Eric and David Lewiston, Shaun Dempsey (my brother) , Michael Murphy and of coarse Henry.

We had some good times with the Berkeley judo club. We travelled down to Narooma on three occasions (early seventies as I remember). We visited the Narooma judo club and I believe Henry�s father lived down there and one time we camped-out on his back lawn. Another time when we went down, we all stayed in a large tent on a campsite. The third time, all the kids that went down were billeted. We stayed with other kids from the Narooma judo cub. Sadly, I can�t remember the family�s name that I stayed with but they were fantastic. I was treated like a king and well looked after.

While at Narooma, someone that Henry knew, or, was a member of he Narooma judo club, owned a motor/ power boat and one day we all went down to some sort of bay and we were all given rides in the power boat. It was brilliant, very fast. grins

On the way back to Berkeley from Narooma, we would stop-off at a cheese making factory 'Which came a kinda tradition?'. The Adults would buy cheese and we kids got to see how the cheese was made.

Steven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Berkeley Judo Club Reply with quote

Hello there Len, just letting you know the picture you have on the web includes my brother Michael Headington not David Lewiston.
Unfortunately Henry died last week on September 15th (my 50th birthday)
I went to the funeral and a lot of old members were there.
Also Eric died in a truck accident about 12 years ago the day after a judo club reunion.

Steve
Len

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, thanks for the photo feed back. I remember you and your Michael very well. Don�t know why I thought your Michael was David, anyways its great to hear from you and thanks for making the effort, appreciated. A lot of time has gone by since those days and I hope life has treaded you well.

Very sad news about Henry, a man that will surly be missed, respect.
I�m also gutted to hear about Eric, that�s something you don�t expect. I�ll pass on this info to my brother Shaun and also to my parents. Both my parents are now in their 70�s and doing just fine.
Steven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you.
I work for a company called Downer EDI Engineering and John Moxham also works there. Michael owns his own business called Signarama.
Last week was my 50th birthday and one of my mates put together a photo album of my life, one of the photo's was when I played soccer for East Berkeley and your brother Shaun is in it, I will send it to you if you wish.
My parents are also both in their 70's and John Moxhams parents are also still with us I believe Mr Moxham is in his 80's.
Len

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice-one Steve. I�ve popped round to my parents today and told them about this contact. They were saddened by the news yet excited you called in (as our parents were also friends). Glad to hear your Michael�s doing well, hope he makes his fortune.

Nice-one about John Jnr. Often wondered what he�d got up too, John was a good mate aswell.
In the past (1982 ish) Mr & Mrs Moxham visited us when they had been on there UK holidays and my dad has always thought very highly of John. Only a couple of months ago I was at my parent�s home having Sunday lunch when a conversation sparked up about Jean and John. During the conversation my dad said �He was a good mate to me was John�. They had worked together at the steel works and had been friends ever since they arrived at the hostel.

I have a couple more photos which were taken at Queensland during the Judo championships 1972. See if you recognise anyone.

Oh and happy birthday Steve, I�ve uploaded a photo in the �Berkeley East Soccer Club" forum and I bet its similar to the one you have.. Our Shaun is now 50 and I�m 52 this month.
Smile

adyelly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Berkeley Judo Club Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I was a member of the Judo Club in the early 70's and remember it so well. Dont recall the exact years but I was the first ever winner of the Apps Honour Trophy. I remember the trips to Narooma JC and the speed boat ride.......... I have the club presentation pennants somewhere and pictures of my trophies I won in my early years..... Mr Lewiston was a true gent and gave me the skills I still apply now within my own club some 40+ years later......... would love to hear from any ex-members.
adyelly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Berkeley Judo Club Reply with quote

Someone mentioned soccer aswell........ I always wanted to play for Berkeley...... Sharky was one of my best mates but I played for Corrimal and then Dapto for many years........ I also made the Illawarra squad !!
Len

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Adyelly, not sure who you are but everyone mentioned above also traveled to Narooma with the judo club/ Henry. Check-out the photos here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: