Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos shared by Richard: East hills Hostel 1967
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Photos shared by Richard: East hills Hostel 1967 Reply with quote

Photo shared by Richard Hallford.

Subject:
Nissen hut 51D:
Mary Hallford, Richard Hallford, Kenneth Hallford and little girl from next door all enjoying the sun.

Len

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo Richard. You and your brother look to be around the same age as me in that year. I was 10 in October. Mr. Green

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you still at East Hills in 1968 Richard ? We were there then. HAve you read the article about the hostel after rebuilding? It is in this forum.
Anyway great to have you posting it is so interesting. Very Happy
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len , you are a year younger than my twins and 3 yrs. younger than my eldest son. Very Happy
Len

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo shared by Richard Hallford.

Subject:
Richard Snr and Mary Hallford.
Photographed in the centre of East Hills Hostel.
The main recreation hall can be clearly seen in the background
As you look at the Rec Hall, Nissen hut 51d was too the left and back just a little.

Richard.

Len

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Richard for sharing your photo with us.

We have a question. Is the above image true?
Richard seems to think that the nissen huts on the right should actually be on the left. Is the photo the wrong way round?
The image looks ok to me, but then, I have never been there.

Edit:
image now corrected.

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you into a secret I don't recognise the building in the back there. The gardens look lovely .and I was at East Hills 3 years Oh dear. Shocked
It could be round round the wrong way.
The Presentations were in the youth Centre. I see the nissans on the right.Maybe they should be on the left .
We would heve been there late 1967 as I have photos Jan.1968.Maybe Richard's parents and/or Richard would have met Tony . Smile
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyl wrote:
Were you still at East Hills in 1968 Richard ? We were there then. HAve you read the article about the hostel after rebuilding? It is in this forum.
Anyway great to have you posting it is so interesting. Very Happy

Hi, I just discovered that you left a question for me. Sorry about the delay. My Mum and Dad left East Hills some time in 1968. Im not sure when. We went to Cabramatta Hostel for a couple of months, then stayed with freinds before sailing back to Southhampton and then Glasgow. We departed Sydney around 17th November, 1968.
I remember that I went to the managers house, which was on the left hand side on the way out of the Hostel. They had a Joey in the yard and im sure that I met the Managers Son. Is this you Phyl? I dont remember the name. We used to queque for the buses outside the store across the road from the Managers residence. I think that there was also a Linen store there as well. My Mum worked for Commonwealth Hostels for a while as a cleaner. Write back to me and let me know. Kindest Regards, Richard Hallford.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
Many thanks for answering my query.
We would have been there before you left and I was the Manager's wife. You would have met one of my sons.They were Murray,Charlie and Allan.Charlie was called Anthony but is always Charlie now Smile
We were those last houses on the left as we left the hostel. You may have met my kids on the school bus too. Did you go to Liverpool High or Hammondville Primary or ?????
Yes I had a Joey I brought up called 'Perdita' If you go to" Other Hostels " and clic into Dundas Memories you can read the story of this very precious little one.We spent time at Dundas and Cabramatta too. Smile
Are you back in Scotland now ? I have Scottish roots on my mother's side with a Swedish line way back and English on my father's side. So I am a first generation New Zealander. My mother was born in South Africa of Scottish parents. I am an avid genealogist. Rolling Eyes
Anyway it is nice to have come across someone who was on East Hills when we were there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl. Thanks for the prompt reply. Nice to here from you and an incredible stroke of luck bumping into you. You know, I probably met you once, although I dont actually have a recollection of it.
Here's my story. In 1968 Mum and Dad decided to go back to Scotland. So I arrived there being twelve. I was born in 1956. As soon as I got there (it was mid winter), I decided that I didnt like it and wanted to go back to Oz. So I finished my schooling, served and Apprenticeship and emigrated back to Oz. That was in 1978. I have been here ever since.
Although I have been back to Scotland a number of times for visits, I would never dream of leaving here. I live in Melbourne and have done for the last 18 years. Before that, I moved around a bit, including two years in Tassie.
I have three kids of my own. (got rid of two of them, hehe).
Julie 25, David 23 and Johnny, 18.
I went back up to Sydney in 1999 with my Mum to visit the East Hills Hostel. Of course it was an army barracks then, with all of the Nissan Huts gone, but the Recreation Hall, the Canteen and the General storage buildings were still there.
It sure was a nostalgic trip for me. Inside one of the admin buildings was the old wooden sign saying "East Hills Hostel". It was just sitting there being neglected. I hope that someone has presersved it.
When I went up there, getting in was as easy as going to the HQ (your old house I believe) and telling them that I was with my Mum for a couple of photos. After the Terrorism scare, probably not so easy if at all now.
If you want, you can email me at my private email. ********
I am more than happy to strike a dialog. I also have a couple more photos of East Hills, not in good shape, which you can have if you want.
PS I went to Hammondsville and the Liverpool Boys High
Kindest Regards, Richard Hallford.
Len

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Richard. That is a great read and I think its brill that you remember Phyl�s Joey. Smile
If you have anymore photos then send them to me and I�ll put them on here.

Just you let you know I�ve removed your private email address from your post because it�s not safe being displayed on a public forum as you may well start to receive loads of spam at that address. Best way to pass-on an email address to Phyl or anyone else is via "pm" private message.

smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Private Messaging Reply with quote

Thanks Len. Ive tried private messaging Phyl, but a dialog box comes up saying "not authorised". Any cluses?
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
What a great story and I would love to see the photos.Perhaps Len could put them on the forum.
I looked in the Oz phone book on the net but couldn't find you. It would be great to have the contact. And would love to have an email address for you. I don't know why that box came up Maybe Len could give you a reason.
This is a great site and I love it and will always be grateful to Len for starting it. There she goes again says Len Laughing I mean it though.
I felt very sad for the poor little neglected sign and almost shed a tear.
I would have loved to see my old house again,we were the first ones in it when the hostel was rebuilt.
I am still in contact with some of my friends over there and we often talk of the "Old Days" if I can call it that.
You would be the same age as my twins. Maybe in the same class as one of them.They always separated them much to our horror.
I do have a class photo of Allan's at Hammondville School.
Charlie has a daughter and step-daughter and Late Allan , a son.
If you would like to see Charlie's Business go to www.mtcook.com I think I put it on the forum once before.
Anyway it's great to have the contact Richard and my kind regards to your family especially your mother.
Keep in touch
Len

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can explain. What I had done was to set a minimum amount of posts that a new member needed to post before being able to use the pm system. I had it set at 10, which really is a bit too many. So, I have now changed it to 3 and with a bit of luck the pm system should work for you now Richard.

Smile
Len

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos shared by Richard.
Smile

Quote:
Richard Hallford in centre in what I believe was the 1967 Xmas party. Perhaps had a couple of drinks (in fact I know he did hehe) The lady on the left was Carol, our neighbour. I don�t remember the other man and woman, (his name could be Norm) but they were from adjacent huts. Again, the top right hand quadrant if looking down from the sky of the hostel. In the background you can clearly see the Recreation Hall and a car on the small road inbetween the huts and the Rec Hall. The central Oval was over the Hut, to the top right hand side, looking in the direction of the elec pole that you can see in the slide

Quote:
Mary Hallford at East Hills Hostel, on Right Hand Side. She worked, like a few, as a cleaner for Commonwealth Hostels. I think that most of the others were employed from the Hostel as well. Year is C1967-8

Quote:
Mary Hallford with boys Kenneth (middle) and Richard at a tree on the left hand side of the road, on the way up to the footbridge at East Hills. The road is called called Sirius Rd. The entrance has changed, but the majority of the old road is still there. The tree is also still there to this day. 14.04.2009]

Quote:
Mary Hallford in her cleaning gear outside the toilet block, No 22. This was a typical toilet block. Hot water was piped throughout the Hostel via a system of overhead steam pipes. There was no water in the Nissens at all. This was the toilet block in the next row to where we were. i.e. in the top right hand quadrant of the Hostel. Directly behind this block was a road, then directly behind that, the Recreation Hall.

Quote:
Richard Hallford (my father) at 81d East Hills Hostels. Next door to us was Mike and Carol. I don�t know there surname. They had a young girl child, Sharon C1966

Quote:
Richard Hallford on left, Kenneth Hallford on right. The dog wondered around the camp for a long time and was known as �Shep� The photo was taken on the main soccer field. At the top left, you can see the goals. If you were to look directly through the goal posts from the right of this slide, to the left, you would be looking at the main oval.

Quote:
Mary Hallford after washing her hair at East Hills Hostel. Of note is the wash lines inbetween the rows of huts. They were of a sort of gallows design.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: