Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pennington, Smithfield hostels. 1965

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Pennington, Smithfield hostels. 1965 Reply with quote

Hi, I am new to this forum but very excited at finding it. My family moved to Australia in 1965 from England. We were living in Forest Gate in West ham before moving here. We arrived in Australia on the 7th of October at Fremantle and then in Adelaide on the 14th of October 1965. We spent a month at Pennington Hostel before being moved to Smithfield Hostel on Anderson Walk. I was just turning 3 at the time so have very vague memories of this time although my mother has lots of fond memories. I am interested in people's stories of their time on this particular hostel. Unfortunately we don't have any photos, but I have already seen some other people's pictures and I'm very excited about that! I can't wait to show my mother and have her identify the buildings and lay out to enrich her memory so I can develop my story about the hostel and what it was about. Very interested in what it meant for people to be arriving here and spending time on a hostel with shared facilities, how different was it from place of origin? Abby
CatherineManning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Hostel Stories Reply with quote

Hi Abby,

Great to read a bit about your family's story. I'm part of a project researching migrant hostels in South Australia, including Pennington and Smithfield. If you're interested you can find out more about it here: http://migration.historysa.com.au/research/callouts/hostel-stories

There's a registration form with a short questionaire if you look carefully in the top right of the page. We'd love to hear from you and anyone else in your family that's interested.

Catherine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: