Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Nunawadding Hostel 1962. Came on the PO Ship ORSOVA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: From Nunawadding Hostel 1962. Came on the PO Ship ORSOVA Reply with quote

My name is Christopher NELSON I was 10 on the Hostel. My Mam was Ivy NELSON and my DAD was Stan NELSON. I went to the Nunawding South State School for a while and then to Blackburn state school. We bought a house in vermont but after a ferw weeks mam got sick and we could not pay for it so we moved back to the hostel. My mam died in front of me in the green hut laying on the cold fold out bed. No home, no comforts or friends or even familiar family. My poor mam watched the fear come across my 10 year olds face and then she left me with a soft breathless goodbye. Oh yes my introduction to the colonies was bad. And yet I love the plave. The Hostel became my womb, my protection and saviour. I never wanted to leave its familiar grounds it became the home I had been ripped away from by my father, If it was still there I would be too. Oh to talk to some of my hostel frinds from those days it would make me feel so much better.
Miss 1961
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisopher, here is a link to a photo and some info on the Orsova. Passenger lists are also available and you can probably find your emmigration details of your parents on the National Archives site.

http://ozhoo.net.au/~strathsisters/orsova/index.htm
Richard.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very sad for you.
If it's any help, go to the IMMIGRATION MUSEUM SITE.
There is a photo of two boys taken in front of a nissen hut in 1959 at Nunawading.
If you join FRIENDS REUNITED, (it's free) you may find some old schoolmates. Good luck.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christopher,

Such a sad introduction to a wonderful place. I remember Nunawading hostel, but only from visiting when we played netball against them in the inter-hostel competition which our hostel (Altona) won 3 years in a row. I am glad that despite your bad memories, you also have some very good ones, and that you have managed to love your adopted country. I have continued to reside in Victoria, but have travelled all over this wonderful country of ours.

I hope you manage to catch up with some of your old friends, I recently have, and it's wonderful. We are planning a reunion of Altona Hostel residents next year, and I am really looking forward to that.

Take care, and be happy.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Christopher Hi
What a sad story,we will adopt you if you like,we are a likable bunch and you can come to our reunion,I am sure it wont take you long to chat and feel as though you know every body,we havent seen each other for millions of years so you wont be the only one who will probably feel awkward at first.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol,that is so nice of you.
What a sad introduction Chris. I am so sorry for your loss.
We were at Nunawading in 1955 and my little son used to look longingly through the fence at the kids playing in the hostel school playground.I hava a photo of him doing that.
andyjudy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris

Just logged in and noticed the very similar intro I shared with your story, although not so sad.

We moved to Nunawading Hostel in Jan 63 after the sea journey on the Sitmar Line Ship "FAIRSKY". First words were shouted from the roof of one Nissan Hut by young lad saying "You'll be Sorry".

I also went to Nunawading South Primary and then to Blackburn High State all within 3 months of arriving. We were only at the Hostel for 4 months, rented a house near Ronald Biggs in Blackburn and then moved to Croydon. After many moves I am now living on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria and often think of those early days as a 11 year old boy in Nunawading.

Regards and Hope I can rekindle some nice thoughts.
angrycat

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: nunawading Reply with quote

Hi
My family moved to aussie 1963 nunawading hostel
we set sail on the ss iberia came back home to liverpool '65
i was 13yrs old had a few mates i remember dave from manchester
but lost touch woul love to meet up again
i went to vermont high school i started work in a place called box hill
and worked in a factory called martin & edwards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: