Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Norlane migrant hostel in geelong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geelong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Norlane migrant hostel in geelong Reply with quote

Hi,
My family did not stay in a migrant hostel, however I am working with a multicultural charity in Geelong (Diversitat) and am interested in researching the Norlane Migrant Hostel (1947 to late 1960's) in Geelong. We want to build a new community centre there are pay tribute to wonderful people and the old Nissan huts that once stood on the site - it was the first port of call for hundreds of new arrivals!
I have done all the obvious things like search local newspaper archives and historic centres - but with little result.
The only Geelong mention I couold find when I searched your site did not open!
Does anyone know how I might find someone who was resident at the hostel in Geelong to start gathering the real stories?
Many thanks if you can help,
Sheena Knowles.
Len

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sheena, welcome to our forums.

Good luck with your research because it sounds like a very interesting project. Unfortunately, I can not really give you any useful pointers but by posting your request here �and with a bit of luck� your request may now be searchable once the Google bots have indexed it.
Hopefully while searching, ex residents of Norlane Migrant Hostel Geelong may now stubble across your request..

The only mention of Geelong hostel made here was in the thread below.

Hostels as heritage sites?

Smile
chrisszaday

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Norland Migrant Hostel Reply with quote

Hi Sheena,

I just came across this forum. I actually lived at the Norlane Hostel from 1956 (when I was four years old) until 1970 during the period my father, Bela Szaday, was Manager there.

I now live in Switzerland. I was back in Melbourne over summer and went to the Enterprise Hostel (in Springvale) exhibition at the Immigration Museum and loved it. (Dad went from Norlane to Enterprise, where he stayed until his retirement in 1983.)

Everytime I drive through Geelong, I always drive past what was the hostel. The ghosts of a once bustling community on that largely empty piece of land come flooding back.

We would have archive material (photos, Hostel magazines, newspaper articles) for you. It's just a matter of finding them and putting them together.

Please keep me informed of your development activities on the site of the old hostel.

With all best wishes,

Chris Szaday
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chriss
Though I didn't know your father I have seen his name in Company Tidings and would like to post a little part of an article in the Dec.1971 issue
Quote:

On November 9 Enterprise had the honour of entertaining members of
Rotary Internationalat dinner.Manager Bela Szaday was as usual, an urbane and gracious host and the evening was a great success.

unquote.
There is a little more but just thought you may like the piece I have posted. My late husband probably knew him.
Smile .
CN@Norlane

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I was there also during Bela Szaday's management of the hostel.
I was only a kid, 4-6 yo but remember his surname due to parents reminiscing about our cat attacking his german sheperd (alsation)
Sorry I don't have much to contribute because both my parents are now deceased.
I do remember my mother ,Regina, worked in the canteen for a while.
Hoping for more comments regarding Norlane to jog my memory,
jan paradise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Norlane migrant hostel Reply with quote

My husband arrived at the hostel from England with his family in 1953. They first went to the exhibition building in Melbourne and then were transferred to the hostel. They lived there for 6 months, before settling in the Norlane area. There were many English and Dutch migrants at the time, and the boys at the hostel used to have 'wars' at the tip site nearby- Dutch against English. Then they would go the school at north geelong and be best of friends.
My father, Morell McKenzie, taught English twice a week at the hostel in the 1960s. He gave assistance to many of the migrants who were struggling with issues such as signing hire purchase and rent agreements.
stevb

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Norlane migrant hostel Reply with quote

jan paradise wrote:
My husband arrived at the hostel from England with his family in 1953. They first went to the exhibition building in Melbourne and then were transferred to the hostel. They lived there for 6 months, before settling in the Norlane area. There were many English and Dutch migrants at the time, and the boys at the hostel used to have 'wars' at the tip site nearby- Dutch against English. Then they would go the school at north geelong and be best of friends.
My father, Morell McKenzie, taught English twice a week at the hostel in the 1960s. He gave assistance to many of the migrants who were struggling with issues such as signing hire purchase and rent agreements.
Hi , my name is Stephen Bristow,my father was catering manager at Norlane from 1956 to 1958 I remember the tip fights with the dutch lads and well remember the playground showing in your photo. I went to Norlane Statae School and then on to
'West Tech"
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The North Geelong Primary School is now a housing estate, it's at the end of my street. West Tech is now Western Heights College and has had a magnificent new complex built on Vine's Road, integrated with a bustling community centre and senior citizens centre, all mingling together.
Pat formston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Formston Family.
We arrived at Norlane hostel December 1958. Mr szary was there then , I have since met one of his relatives at falls creek I think.Mrs Woods was the lady in the shop
I was friends with Alan Jones who I believe became a barber in the norlane shopping centre.
Cheers
Pat Formston
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend's parents met in the Norlane hostel about the same time. Mum's name was Ilse, and she was Dutch-Indonesian. Dad's surname was Senkic, he was from Yugoslavia. They would have been teenagers at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: