Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intro Fairsky 63 Dundas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve63

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Intro Fairsky 63 Dundas Reply with quote

Hi, I came across this site while researching a eulogy for my Mum who has just passed away. I'm keen to exchange memories with anyone who sailed on the Fairsky in 1963 or was at the Dundas hostel - particularly if they remember my Mum, Eileen or my Dad, Jim.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, We sailed on the Fairsky, December 64. Sent to East Hills but transferred to Dundas. What was your surname?
Steve63

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GinaKate,
Our surname was Chambers. We were gone by 1964..Dad got a job near Scone on the jockey George Moore's stud.
Regards, Steve.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we would have missed each other. You would probably have been in the same age group as Tony Bell, Kevin Dexter, Sonya Sherridan. I don't doubt you were there at the same time as Elizabeth McGreggor. The McGreggors' were on the hostel for about six years.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would have missed you too but please accept my sympathy for the sad loss of your mother.
Steve63

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Phyl. We were at Dundas only a short time so I guess its unlikely that anyone would know or remember my Dad or Mum. I was a kid so my memories of the place are small and fragmented. I think we had dinner at the manager�s house once and all I can remember is that he had an American car with a swan, I think, as a bonnet emblem. I recall I used to follow the older kids down to where the drains and sewers emptied � they had slug guns and used to shoot the rats and if I was lucky I got a shot. We were from rural England and Dundas was a shock...I thought why would we travel all this way to shoot rats. I remember the shop had a Coke machine that I thought was amazing having drunk it for the first time on the ship on the way out and thought we must be rich. The only adult that I can remember was the Dad of a friend I made there. I was in their hut and the dad was getting dressed. His back was a real mess. The boy said � the Japs did that�. I guess like all migrant kids, I grew up a lot since getting on that ship. But, it all worked out and we made a great life for ourselves and I will always thank my parents for bringing me and my sisters to Australia.
Regards, Steve.
AJ Reed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy memories of both the Fairsky (both ways) and Dundas Hostel 1966 - 1970 .... Around the world in 800 days.
Joy52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve. A slightly different view but we sailed on the Fairsky in January 1964 from Australia to NZ. We went from England to Oz on the Stratheden and that was pure luxury but on the Fairsky we were on H deck which was underneath the water and we spent 4 days in sheer misery as we were seasick all the way. I was watching a programme about the history of the BeeGees recently and it showed them returning to England on board the Fairsky. Anyway, welcome to the forum.
AJ Reed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV Fairsky only had five passenger decks .... Sun Deck / A Deck / B Deck / C Deck / D Deck. None of these were under the water line as C Deck was split fore and aft whilst D Deck occupied a small area in the bow. I doubt that the ship had a deep enough draft to accomodate a H Deck but there WERE other decks below C Deck as I found out in a lift one day. The lift normally only went down to C Deck but the crew had on this occasion used it for accessing lower decks and hadn't corrected the buttons before re-opening it for passenger use.
On our way to Australia, our family occupied cabins A117 and A119. On our return we had to be content with two cabins on C Deck (can't remember which ones due to us having two cabins that were not together) because whilst we were actually booked aboard Fairstar on a later passage back to UK, Fairsky had broken down in Cape Town and was to arrive in Sydney two weeks late, so it then fell in our time window. We were asked if we wanted to change our booking to the Fairsky. A shame, as I had looked forward to travelling on Fairstar and an Italian waiter (Franco) who we had befriended on Fairsky on the way to Australia, had recently transferred to Fairstar. Both ships are now sadly scrapped and I never had the chance to travel on either of them again. I do go cruising now and again and I try to go on ships with a Sitmar connection.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Fairsky Reply with quote

Hi AJ Read, thoroughly enjoyed this and your other post re the various Sitmar liners.
I came out in March 1960 on Fairsky with my late parents, George and Kathleen.
I recall on board a lot of conjecture and stories re the history of Fairsky and and questions re the other liners in fleet. If my memory served me right there were paintings of the other liners hanging in a public area?
It's strange... But I can vividly recall to this day the various experiences on board and the ports visited....Port Said,Aden, Fremantle, Melbourne, Sydney.
Interesting that she kept going so long and sad how it met its demise and scrapping. Seems that fires played a big part in many of their ends.
Still have a souvenir menu and original post card picture of the ship,given out before and during the trip.
Cheers, Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: