Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you meet your partner on or through a migrant hostel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Did you meet your partner on or through a migrant hostel. Reply with quote

I was wondering how many people met their spouse, current or not, on or through a migrant hostel. I've spoken to a few who met this way.
jenny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: True Love on the Hostel - Dundas NSW Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know my eldest brother Alan Foster met his wife Marion Rowsell, on the Dundas hostel. We were there 1955 - 1958.
Alan tells it like this. The evening we arrived, we disembarked off the bus and Alan saw this lovely blonde girl watching the new arrivals and he fell madly in love. They married a few years later, had 5 children and now have grandchildren and great grandchildren. Sadly Marion passed away about 3-4 years ago.
We all came to NZ in 1965 and have come to enjoy ( apart from the cold ) our beautiful little country.

I am so enjoying reading all the tid bits about peoples lives on an Immigration Hostel.
Cheers
Jenny Gray ( nee Foster)
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, what a beautiful story!
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on Dundas Hostel in 1965, I don't know any stories as nice as this one, but during my stay there was at least eight couples I can name who met at Dundas, and married. Four I know of are still together today.
jenny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GinaKate,

Yes it is a lovely story. Alan has a friend in NSW, Norm Woollard who married his sweetheart from the hostel. Her name is June ( don't know her maiden name). They are still together and goodness knows who else married from Dundas. It's amazing isn't it how many people met whilst on the hostel and later married those same people.
I was only 6 when we arrived there, but I do remember a little boy named Stuart McGregor,who was Scottish. He was rather cute.
Wonder where he is now?
geoff hudson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Did you meet your partner on or through a migrant hostel Reply with quote

kabre wrote:
I was wondering how many people met their spouse, current or not, on or through a migrant hostel. I've spoken to a few who met this way.

I met my wife Carol (nee Rogers) on Dundas Hostel and last month (Oct) we celebrated our Golden (50th) Anniversary.Hence our cruise next week on the Pacific Dawn to New Guinea. Hope the head hunters stay away.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff, I must have been around or just after you. It has been 49 years this coming January when we first arrived there.

Last edited by GinaKate on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
GinaKate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Jenny, are you sure the boy's name was Stuart?
There was a Scottish family by the name of McGregor on the hostel, they were there for about seven years. The boys were James and Derek though. In fact these are two of the ones I was referring to as meeting their partners on Dundas and marrying. My sister still has contact with part of this family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: