Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HAPPY 50TH. BIRTHDAY, DOCTOR WHO!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: HAPPY 50TH. BIRTHDAY, DOCTOR WHO! Reply with quote

Did anyone else see the first episode in 1963?
GinaKate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Six o clock one Saturday night, sitting on the floor in front of a fourteen inch black and white tele.
kate fletcher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember watching the first Doctor Who episode. I�d been looking forward to it because a new TV series was an event in England in 1963 with only 2 channels, BBC and ITV, but President Kennedy had been assassinated the day before and all the regular TV programmes had been cancelled, so I thought that I�d have to wait through a whole horrible week of school before I could see the programme. It was such a reprieve when the music started, and I was intrigued from the start by the Doctor�s granddaughter Susan, a new girl in school, knowing so much more than her teachers. I remember her reading a history book, and saying something along the lines of, �But that isn�t how it happened at all.�

Aussietrekker, thanks for recommending Mary Rose Liverani�s book �The Winter Sparrows.� It�s a fascinating read, just like your memoirs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: