Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phyl are you there? Discussion re Nunawading Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Phyl are you there? Discussion re Nunawading Hostel Reply with quote

Hi Phyl

I am a new member to this forum so I hope contacting you via a new post like this is OK.

As I was browsing to familiarise myself with this forum, I noticed that your husband was assistant manager at the Nunawading Migrant Hostel for a while. I would be very interested in chatting to you about this as I am trying to gather some memories of the Hostel myself. My interest stems from the fact that my grandparents stayed there in 1957 when they migrated from England, with my father who was 17 at the time. Later, my husband (not at the time of course!) stayed there too in 1970, which I've always thought was quite a coincidence.

I imagine you have a unique perspective being "on the other side of the fence" so to speak.

Hoping you might like to share some thoughts!

Wendy
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wendy,
Nice to read your post though I am not very helpful to you I'm afraid.We were at Nunawading in 1954-55 so a little before your time frame.I didn't venture into the hostel proper at that time as I was pregnant with my twins and had a toddler too so my hands were fairly full.We lived next to the hostel school and my son was always peeking throgh the fence and wanting to go to play with the children but alas he was to young.I can't even remember who the manager in charge was there at that time. but I know I was very lonely there. I was 22 yrs old at the time, if you can call that 'being on the other side of the fence' :). Smile
Maybe someone could tell us who was the manager in charge at that time.
From there we were transferred to Marbrynong then onto Preston, where the twins were born in 1956. I retained my Dr. in the Nunawading area and the twins were born in the Box Hill area too.
The manager in charge at Preston Hostel and his wife were lovely people.
You never know Wendy someone may pop up with the dame dates as you.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPs Embarassed spelling mistake, should read ' same ' date as you.
Wendy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl

Lovely to get your reply - thanks! It certainly sounds like you had your hands full then, so I can understand why you weren't actively involved at Nunawading. I notice you've mentioned the Hostel school.....somebody else I talked to told me about this too and how it closed down and the children then moved to a new public school over the way in Mount Pleasant Road. She remembered the children all carrying their own books and chairs to the new school. I think this may have been just after you left though. Do you remember this?

I'm fascinated by the idea of a little school on the premises. Did it cater to many children and/or a big range of ages?

Wendy
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wendy ,
No I don't remember the school closing though I think there was talk about it when we were there. As far as I know it was only for the hostel children.
Maybe it is in the Other hostels folder under Nunawading but there is a photo of my son looking through the fence at the children playing though there is only one child visible.
Wendy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl

Yes, I've seen that picture of your little boy peering through the fence - it's very sweet and evocative!

Wendy
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Nunawading Hostel pics Reply with quote

Wendy, on the National Archives of Australia, you will find that they have several pictures of the Hostel in 1957, including the main entrance and the kindergarten. This may be the "school" you were referring to. Just go to this web site:- http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/index.aspx

Then click in the "begin search" box.
Type in "Nunawading" and make the search dates from 1957 to 1959 and you will be presented with a list of material, including photos, which you can click on to see. If you want to save a copy of the photos, just right mouse click and "save as" This will save a copy of the photo to your computer. Hope this helps.
There are also documents there which includes an "Arrivals and departures" book from from 1953 to 1959. You would have to pay to get a copy of this (I think its about $16.00) but you might find your rels in the books. Good Hunting!
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
The school was an actual school not a kindergarton, some of the kids were too big for kindergarton.
Smile
anniejack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: nunnawading hostel and school Reply with quote

hi I am new here. of Dutch origin,
my family migrated from Holland in 1954 with five children. on the jvo ship.
we first went to Bonegilla for a few months and then to Nunawading for 2 years . I learned my English there form Mr kett the teacher at the hostel school. I believe we were the first Dutch family in the English hostel.
I was naturalized at the hostel about 56-57 there were photos and was wondering if anyone had copies and a date of the ceremony.

anniejack (henry)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: