Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jenny Gray. Dundas Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Jenny Gray. Dundas Hostel Reply with quote

Hi All,

My name is Jenny Gray ( nee Foster). My family, all 7 of us migrated to Australia as 10pound poms in 1955 ex SS New Australia. We were placed on the Dundas Hostel and lived there from 1955 - 1958.
From there we moved around a bit and lived in Schofields until we emigrated to NZ in 1965. Sadly Mum and Dad are no longer with us, but my 3 brothers ( Alan, Ken and Terry) and my sister Lyn are all alive and well and living in various parts of NZ.

I remember well the communal dining facility at Dundas, the huge playing area, the washroom facilities where we would fill up the bath tub during the hot summers to cool off, the packed school lunches, the dances where my Dad would take photographs, organised bus trips to many of Sydneys' beaches. It was a great time for us kids, I enjoyed it anyway.
AJ Reed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were on Dundas Hostel 1968 and 1969. It was one of the better hostels in my opinion after visiting people on other hostels. However, we didn't like Australia and we returned to England via Wellington and thought New Zealand would have been a far better country to settle in.
jenny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Dundas Hostel Reply with quote

Hi AJ,

New Zealand is a beautiful little country, and if you like your weather a little cooler then that would be fine. All of my siblings and myself missed the Aussie climate when we came to NZ. Now as I'm getting older, I think the cooler temps are suiting me better.

I can remember there being fights between the Aussies and the Pommie kids when we were at Dundas. Does anyone else remember these?

I also remember having to walk over a pipe to get to school. We went first to Rydalmere North and then Oatlands. I still have vivid memories of Mr Le Seur, the Headmaster at Oatlands. To me as a little 9 year old, he seemed quite formidable.
Nice chatting to you and a Merry Christmas to everyone.
Regards
Jenny.
AJ Reed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never really had fights but the Aussies and Poms didn't really mix that well. I only went to Oatlands and if I recall correctly, we had Mr Bowman as Headmaster but strangely I can't remember my class teacher. However, that was 12 years afterwards.
It was the heat that got the better of us as well ... and the mosquitoes. The climate of New Zealand would have been a lot better. I suppose if you wanted it a bit warmer you could live on North Island.
Joy52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also started out in Australia but moved to NZ for a variety of reasons. I think it suits some British people more because its climate and topography are similar to Britain. Cold winters and earthquakes aside, its not a bad place Very Happy
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were on Dundas hostel in 1965, things had settled down a lot between the hostel kids and the Aussie outsiders by then Jenny, in fact a lot of our regular visitors were Aussie kids.
There wasn't much of a social life for teenagers in Australia and the hostel provided that for them. They came to join in with us and we accepted them.

I will add though that they knew if they bagged out our homeland that they would be out.
BarryGale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: 1967-8 Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Barry Gale. My family (mum Jacqueline, dad Alfred, children Barry, Janet, Peter) arrived in 1967 from England, when I was 6. We stayed in Dundas Hostel I think about 1 year, then rented a house for 1 year in Parramatta, and returned to England in 1969.
My best friend in the hostel was Colin Hardy, who was about the same age as me and lived opposite us.
My Mum worked in the canteen kitchen. I think my Dad worked at a large factory called Rheims - I remember attending an Open Day and having a ride on a horse and in an army helicopter (wow!).
I still have a few photos, which I will upload soon.

Last edited by BarryGale on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
BarryGale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: 1967-8 Reply with quote

aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have been Rheems, they made hot water services.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rheem Austraila, Suppliers and Services of hot water systems, 1 Alan Street, Rydalmere.
I think Rheem employed 75% of Dundas Hostel workers.
And it's still going.

Barry, I'd love to see your photos, but you have to post them via Phil.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Via Len. Phyl can't post photos anymore, sob! cry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: