Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fairsky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabbitwarren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: fairsky Reply with quote

:roll: We lived on the hostel migrating with family from UK in 1961 for two long years, supposed to get off at Melbourne where my father had a job but he was not allowed and had to travel to Sydney to live at Bradfield Park Hostel what an eye opener that was. So completely different from life in the UK I hated it the food the accommodation etc but made some lovely friends and learnt a lot about the insects and wild life that frequented the hostel and also the strange food we were not used to especially the cold bake bean and spaghetti sandwiches Ugh. We had a great time roller skating the paths of the hostel. My father had a hard time getting a job and had to travel a long way when he finally got one and took us two years to get rental accommodation but once we did found life so different and had glad we stayed. I then could walk to school instead of walking, catching a bus and a train previously.
My father got a better job and bought a car eventually so much better.
I only have one photo of back then of the hostel wonder if anyone else has any from that era????
peterv

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: fairsky Reply with quote

Hello Rabbitwarren
Thanks for your memories. My family was at Bradfield Park from 1959-61 - we came on the Fairsea. I never adapted to baked bean sandwiches but nor did I to the "chip butty" when a northern English friend introduced me to that many years later.
There are some photos in this forum from that era. There are also some in the Bradfield Park Facebook group.
Peter
rabbitwarren

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

:grin: Hi Peterv
I have found some photos on government website on the hostel, and
was shocked to find my mother and myself and sister in one of the hostel rooms they must have taken it when we first arrived, there are heaps and heaps of photos of the hostel on that website not sure if you have been on it. Thanks for the message.
peterv

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Photos Reply with quote

rabbitwarren wrote:
Very Happy Hi Peterv
I have found some photos on government website on the hostel, and
was shocked to find my mother and myself and sister in one of the hostel rooms they must have taken it when we first arrived, there are heaps and heaps of photos of the hostel on that website not sure if you have been on it. Thanks for the message.

Hi Rabbitwarren
Could you tell me a bit more about how to find that website. It sounds very interesting. I don't think I know it. .... PeterV
rabbitwarren

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: photos Reply with quote

Hi Peterv
The website is www.destinationaustralia.gov.au

Hope this helps Razz
peterv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: photos Reply with quote

rabbitwarren wrote:

The website is www.destinationaustralia.gov.au
Hope this helps Razz

Thank you very much. Amazing coincidence to find a photo of yourself. I will point the photos out to the Facebook group. The colour ones of the canteen are very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: