Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

broadmeadows migrant hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UNSTEADY64

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: broadmeadows migrant hostel Reply with quote

Looking for anyone with stories to tell about Broady Migrant Hostel from 1964 to 1966. Photo's seem to be hard to find of this place. We "lived" and I use the term loosely from october 64 to august 65.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UNSTEADY64,
You may be interested in this piece from the Company Tidings in October 1971.

Quote:

Broadmeadows ceased operations on Saturday,August 21, 1971 and has been placed under caretaking control pending it's return to the Department of the Army.

Unquote.
UNSTEADY64

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: broadmeadows hostel Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, at this point I'll take whatever I can get. Seems to me most "inmates" were happy to get out and forget the place.
Regards
Chris
PaulE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Broadmeadows Reply with quote

Hi,

we lived at Broadmeadows from 1963 for a while (not exactly sure how long, I was only 3 at the time). I don't think we'd have been there long as my Mum detested the place. I have some photos buried away somewhere and will endeavour to post them on here at some stage.

PaulE
UNSTEADY64

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Broadmeadows Reply with quote

We all detested it. Look forward to seeing the pics.
Chris.
oldmod66

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Broadmeadows Reply with quote

our mob arrived at Broady at the end of March 1966 from England mum dad and me with 3 brothers we only stayed at the hostel for abou 6 months and it wasnt that bad by twin brother and I kept going back to visit friends for a year or so afterwoods still have great memories.

Last edited by oldmod66 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is this Broadmeadows in Melbourne? Your profiles don't give any indication of your location.
machka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family of 7 first lived in Bonegilla, for several months, which I remember fondly. We then we moved to Broadmeadows hostel. I don't have fond memories of Broadmeadows - many unpleasant things happened there - my mother helped in the kitchen and cut her finger to the bone, so as a 9 year old and the oldest daughter, I had to do all the washing by hand for the family as there were no washing machines, only spin dryers. Then my 5 year old sister got hit by a car walking home from school with my brother, when he left her on the footpath to have a pee in the bushes. She was in a coma and had plaster from waist down whole right leg and half of left leg with 4 fractures to hip and legs. The only things I remember is these tragedies, how cold the huts were in winter, how thin and scratchy the grey army blankets were and how dreadful the food was. We lived on toast, the only thing we enjoyed eating and fortunately they let us make toast after not eating dinner. I also recall how crowded it was with people from different countries. I don't think I have any photos, but if you go on the National archives website you can find photos of all the hostels. https://www.destinationaustralia.gov.au/site/search.php?type=rec&search=&yearMin=0&yearMax=0&thid=0&tc=Hostels%2C+Holding%2C+State+Reception%2C+and+Detention+Centres&page=79
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: