Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glenelg Hostel, 1961-63

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dylan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Glenelg Hostel, 1961-63 Reply with quote

Hi, I lived in the Glenelg Migrant Hostel from 1961-63. I arrived at Outer Harbour on 10 June 1961 on the SS Orontes with my mum and dad and six siblings. The location of the hostel was perfect - walking distance to Glenelg North Beach and to St Leonard's Primary School. The day following our arrival, another ship arrived at Outer Harbour (Sitmar Line, either the Fairsea or Fairsky) with more English migrants. I have often wondered how the two local primary schools and the nearest high school at Plympton coped with such a large influx of new students mid-year. I do remember how friendly the Australian students were to us and we were received well. Most of them wanted to talk cricket but I wasn't sport-minded at all. I have many fond memories of those early years in Australia. The weather was perfect and provided us with plenty of opportunities to venture outdoors.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dylan you are one of the rare folk posting from SA hostels, there ought to be a lot more out there as it was one of the hotspots. I remember my folks getting brochures for a new town called Elizabeth, but we ended up in Melbourne.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: