Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brooklyn Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Val

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Brooklyn Hostel Reply with quote

Hello everyone. My family and I (Evans) were at Brooklyn Hostel from May 1960 to 1962 having sailed on the old Arcadia. I have fond memories of staying there even at such a young age (I turned 4 a month later). For the rest of that year I attended the 'nursery' (pre school) which was near the primary school while my parents worked and my brother went to school. My father worked at Borthwicks and my mother at Sydney Cookes which was just down from the school on Millers Road. We had lots of fun times. Our hut was right in the first row across the big paddock from Borthwicks. There was a drain there and sometimes they would take up the lino from the huts and we would take it and put it into the drain to make slides Smile Of course there were always other kids to play with and tadpoling was very popular. I also remember the Rec Room run by a man who from memory we called 'The Skipper' or something like that. The canteen burnt down one night and we could see the flames from our bedroom window which was pretty scary for a 4 year old and I remember asking my Mum if we would ever eat again lol Looking forward to being a member here and reminiscing with you all :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: