Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heathcote road hostel hut 45A jim1954

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim1954

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Heathcote road hostel hut 45A jim1954 Reply with quote

I was just reading the topic I wrote yesterday and I seen a few mistakes towards the end as I was in hurry to go out. It should have read , I think some of the best young years of my life were spent on the hostel. I still know a few people of that phase of my life and I am still goods friends with a few , and I see one person all the all the time she then known as Ann Cairns. Here are a few more names people may remembers from that period. Guy Cooper, the Griffith family, Lockhead family, Frank Hutchins, Andrews family, the Steenbergers their father was cook in the canteen, Mrs. Gay and family and the Hurley family from East Hills hostel. A lot of families got together and built a housing estate in Liverpool it was in Mcgowen Cres. Liverpool. I have a few photos I can show as soon as I can work out how to put them on. Regards Jim 1954
PatrickMills

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, thanks for the enumeration of those families that are present on the hostel. I look forward to see the uploaded photos of yours. Keep posting and good luck.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Heathcote Rd '56 Reply with quote

Hi Jim, a couple of names that you mentioned, Mrs. Gay perhaps the mother of Ian, the Andrews family did that also include the twin daughters (Christine and Janet) and did the Hurley family over at East Hills include Pat and Peggy. Do you have any news of Lucy Reid, Pat Kelly or Irene Cross ? Thanks.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
jim1954

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply to Norman Reply with quote

Mrs.Gay is Ian's mothers, it is Janet and Carol Andrews,the hurleys were from East Hills,Pat and her brother Mike. I still know Pat Kelly her parents were good friends of my mum and dad. Do you remember a manager named Davenport he has a son Philip.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Pat Kelly Reply with quote

Thanks for responding Jim, yes the names we know/knew are some that I remember from around 1965/66/67. I had one of the Andrews girls wrong and that seemed strange at first but then, yes my sister was also Carol and good freinds with both of those girls. Any news on what may have happened to Ian Gay. I recall seeing Pat Hurley in Katoomba, from memory perhaps around the 80's (whilst visiting 'down south'). I have been searching and asking after Pat Kelly and Lucy Ried/Read/Reed ?? for years. I did learn that Pat had married a chap from Cabramatta Hostel, he became a Policeman, he was at one time posted to Rooty Hill, and last, that he was killed as a pedestrian out near the Cross Roads roundabout (?), somebody thought that Pat may be living in Lurnea (?) near Liverpool. I will send you my email and mobile in PM and perhaps you could pass it on to her. The last that I found regarding Lucy was that she may have returned to England and that her brother Gerald (?) hung himself under suspicious circumstances. Any help will be great and followed through, many thanks......Norm
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Pat Kelly Reply with quote

Jim, sorry got all mixed up over the news that you posted, the years were 55/56/57 and NOT 65/66/67.........Thanks again
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: A message missed Reply with quote

Hi Jim, I think you or Pat may have sent me a PM, however, I was not able to open that message. I hope all is well with you 'down there' and that you may have caught up with Pat. Anxious to correspond. Thanks once again....Norm
Margaret V

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply again to Jim Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
Just saw a previous post from you. My Parents were part of the group that started the scheme at McGowans crescent Liverpool. You mentioned Ann Cairns, we lived next door to her in McGowan cres.
Margaret
jim1954

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret , You remember Ann , we are still close friends today, I was talking about 2 weeks ago. Jim
Margaret V

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Hi Jim Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
Yes I knew Ann very well, we were friends for a long time whilst at McGowan cres. My mum was particularly close to her Auntie who lived with them for some years. It is great to catch up after all these years and how different all our lives have been during this time. Next time you talk with Ann remember me to her. I also remember the Crouchers and quite a few other people from our time on the hostel. It would be great to see some photos, unfortunately I have none from that time.
Margaret
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Pat Kelly Reply with quote

Hi Jim, any news on Pat Kelly yet. I know it has been awhile. I am back and forth overseas and miss checking in here. All the best and Thanks..Norm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: