Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merv Stanley Heathcote Road 1959-61

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MERV.S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Merv Stanley Heathcote Road 1959-61 Reply with quote

Hi, arrived july 59 with my parents on ss Orontes ,they were Roy and Gwen Stanley both sadly now passed away. I was 11 years old at the time and not as disappointed as my parents at the camp like most kids. Went to Hammondville school then Liverpool B H. . I made quite a few friends and would like to hear from anyone who knows them, the names i can remember are Ron Collins he also had a young brother gordon Kerr, Norman Goodall, bernie o'sullivan his father did some boxing coaching at Mac's youth club arron steenbergen,and a lad called Terry can't remember surname . I may have photo of lads when they came to see me off when we returned to UK.I have lots of memories even though it was only 2 and a bit years it seems to make a big impression. Smile
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Merv, Just read your post re Bernie O'Sullivans Dad I am off to stay with Bernie and his wife Elaine for a few days I will tell Bernie you remember him
Cheers Katherine
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the rest of your blog I was married to Ronnie Collins we are divorced have 3 children and four grandchildren remain good friends. Ronnie lives near Forster NSW Cheers K
MERV.S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine wrote:
Just read the rest of your blog I was married to Ronnie Collins we are divorced have 3 children and four grandchildren remain good friends. Ronnie lives near Forster NSW Cheers K
Hi Katherine thanks for the reply i would be interested in any news or contact from old friends. I did visit Aus. in 2002 with my daughter and had a good look round and owing to the Anset airline folding we had to drive to Brisbane and Port Douglas so must have passed you by .bye for now Merv
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not drive by any of us we all lived in Sydney, Bernie lived in London in the 80's. Ronnie remember you but he does not belong to this web site. He asked me to tell you he is on Skype if you would like to speak to him let me know and I will give you his number Cheers
MERV.S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine wrote:
You did not drive by any of us we all lived in Sydney, Bernie lived in London in the 80's. Ronnie remember you but he does not belong to this web site. He asked me to tell you he is on Skype if you would like to speak to him let me know and I will give you his number Cheers
Hi Katherine , yes i'd like to Skype him ,do they allow you to give numbers out on the web site ? Bye.
bernie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Merv
How are you mate, been a long time since you helped me deliver those packets of teeth. Elaine my wife who I met on the hostel and you would have known her back then we are now retired and live in the Grand Mariner on the Gold Coast. I lived in the UK in the eighties for several years I had a house in Kingston Vale our eldest Grandson was born in Kingston Hospital, we was over there July August we stay on the IOW and London. Still mates with Ron Collins, Terry Brown left to go back to the UK around the same time as you did, was in contact for a few years then lost touch, all the others have moved on, did see Gordon Kerr on a building site many years ago. We have Kathy Collins staying with us for a few days and she put me in touch with you, have been a member of this site for many years but your the first blast from the past. We try and find you on Skype our name on Skype is banana benders. Hope to hear from you soon. Fond regards Bernie
MERV.S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernie wrote:
Hi Merv
How are you mate, been a long time since you helped me deliver those packets of teeth. Elaine my wife who I met on the hostel and you would have known her back then we are now retired and live in the Grand Mariner on the Gold Coast. I lived in the UK in the eighties for several years I had a house in Kingston Vale our eldest Grandson was born in Kingston Hospital, we was over there July August we stay on the IOW and London. Still mates with Ron Collins, Terry Brown left to go back to the UK around the same time as you did, was in contact for a few years then lost touch, all the others have moved on, did see Gordon Kerr on a building site many years ago. We have Kathy Collins staying with us for a few days and she put me in touch with you, have been a member of this site for many years but your the first blast from the past. We try and find you on Skype our name on Skype is banana benders. Hope to hear from you soon. Fond regards Bernie
Hi Bernie, Great to hear from you , when i found the heathcote site a few days ago i did not know wether to go on or not as i did not think anyone would reply and when Cathy did with all that info it was a surprise to say the least. When i came over in 2002 with my daughter i looked on a online phone list and wrote a few letters to a couple of B.osullivans and a N Goodall in Hammondville but only got one reply from a woman who's husband had passed away who said i could call round anyway !!.I got married to a local girl in 1973 we have 2 girls one is working inAuckland NZ the other is in Manchester neither married both career girls. I am about to retire in the next few weeks as i have been waiting for Pauline to finish.I had a look on Skype directory for banana benders but there are several different ones, do you have a number after it?. mine is mervynstanley1 no gaps .bye for now mate speak again soon.
Joy52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Merv. I was on Heathcote Hostel from 1962-64 and although I realise that you were gone by the time that we arrived, I would just like to say hello as a fellow Heathcoter. I also attended Hammondville Primary. Do you remember the Friday assemblies when the girls went into the boys' part of the school and we all sang the National Anthem and then saluted the flag? Also the buses that transported us to school when we sang all the way there and then all the way back again. I also remember some days on those buses when there would be bush fires on either side of the road as we travelled through them. I'm pleased that you managed to contact old friends so quickly as I have been unable to do the same. It's all such a long time ago now but great memories! Kind regards, Joy.
MERV.S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy52 wrote:
Hello Merv. I was on Heathcote Hostel from 1962-64 and although I realise that you were gone by the time that we arrived, I would just like to say hello as a fellow Heathcoter. I also attended Hammondville Primary. Do you remember the Friday assemblies when the girls went into the boys' part of the school and we all sang the National Anthem and then saluted the flag? Also the buses that transported us to school when we sang all the way there and then all the way back again. I also remember some days on those buses when there would be bush fires on either side of the road as we travelled through them. I'm pleased that you managed to contact old friends so quickly as I have been unable to do the same. It's all such a long time ago now but great memories! Kind regards, Joy.
Hello Joy , I'm afraid my memory fails me when it comes to the assemblies but i certainly remember the bus rides and the singing , used to drive the bus drivers mad especially one i think he was an Italian guy.As you say great memories , best wishes Merv.
grattan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: new member Merv Stanley Heathcote Road 1959-61 Reply with quote

MERV.S wrote:
Hi, arrived july 59 with my parents on ss Orontes ,they were Roy and Gwen Stanley both sadly now passed away. I was 11 years old at the time and not as disappointed as my parents at the camp like most kids. Went to Hammondville school then Liverpool B H. . I made quite a few friends and would like to hear from anyone who knows them, the names i can remember are Ron Collins he also had a young brother gordon Kerr, Norman Goodall, bernie o'sullivan his father did some boxing coaching at Mac's youth club arron steenbergen,and a lad called Terry can't remember surname . I may have photo of lads when they came to see me off when we returned to UK.I have lots of memories even though it was o
nly 2 and a bit years it seems to make a big impression. Smile

hi merv I was on Heathcote hostel 1959-1960 I was good mates with aaron steenberen we lived at glenfield after we left the hostel just a few doors away I knew norman goodal and Malcolm poole Bernie and maca davies jimmy and judy sprigs I remember playing shuttlecock in hall
MERV.S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: new member Merv Stanley Heathcote Road 1959-61 Reply with quote

grattan wrote:
MERV.S wrote:
Hi, arrived july 59 with my parents on ss Orontes ,they were Roy and Gwen Stanley both sadly now passed away. I was 11 years old at the time and not as disappointed as my parents at the camp like most kids. Went to Hammondville school then Liverpool B H. . I made quite a few friends and would like to hear from anyone who knows them, the names i can remember are Ron Collins he also had a young brother gordon Kerr, Norman Goodall, bernie o'sullivan his father did some boxing coaching at Mac's youth club arron steenbergen,and a lad called Terry can't remember surname . I may have photo of lads when they came to see me off when we returned to UK.I have lots of memories even though it was o
nly 2 and a bit years it seems to make a big impression. Smile

hi merv I was on Heathcote hostel 1959-1960 I was good mates with aaron steenberen we lived at glenfield after we left the hostel just a few doors away I knew norman goodal and Malcolm poole Bernie and maca davies jimmy and judy sprigs I remember playing shuttlecock in hall
Hi nice to hear from you afraid i can't place the name but we seem to have one or two mutual friends but i suppose lads where coming and leaving all the time. The youth club was a big meeting place .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: