Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parker Family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parker family

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Parker Family Reply with quote

Good Morning ,
Is there a kind of list as to where families lived etc. I am very interested to find out as much as i can about where we lived and what we did while we were at East Hills . Is there anyone on here who lived there when we did? 1957 until 1960 ? I remember snippitts but will try and find out a bit more information from my brothers . My parents have sadly passed away so cannot get any more information . We emigrated on the SS Straithard .Here is what my brother Allan can remember .
these are some of my memories. i remember during the 6 wk trip docking at Capetown in south Africa and seeing table mountain and then onto durban where they had African Zulu rickshaw pullers in full battle dress. when crossing the equator there was a party to celebrate the occasion.., . we lived on an old army base in nissan huts in a place called east hills hostel near hammondsville and Woolongong. we moved to a bigger Nissan hut on the same site after about a year. Dad worked as a riveter on the shipyard on cockatoo island. ( i did some research and found that east hills had 128 Nissan huts, a food hall and shower block , it was demolished in 1970 ) My brother Ray and I used to fish on the nearby Georges river, some of the places we visited was Sydney harbour, the blue mountains, the kiama blow hole, bondi beach and la perouse (botany bay) where we had a boomerang made, (still got it somewhere) However although dad loved oz mum was very homesick an with some family financial help from the uk after 3 yrs returned home.On the return journey we docked at Ceylon (now sri lanka) , travelled through the suez canal then stopped at Aden where the ship took on supplies including drinking water that was disgusting. from here we docked in Malta and then Gibraltar. We eventually arrived in England at tilbury docks where we were met by are family ( including grandma and grandad) who all seemed to have very strange accents. ( we all had Australian accents) What wonderful memories off my brother .x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: