Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memories - how good is yours?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyCamper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Memories - how good is yours? Reply with quote

I posted this for my 'Introduction' but I am reposting a revised version here, hope that's OK. Smile
I was 10 years old when my family left Guernsey C.I. and departed Southampton on 22nd September 1954 on The "New Australia" bound for Bonegilla Hostel in Victoria. (If anyone was on the same ship, same time there is a detailed account of the voyage by William P. Nash: http://member.melbpc.org.au/~nashr/The%20Voyage%20to%20Australia.html
However, at Perth were told were were going to Balgownie Hostel. We were there while my Dad built the 1st half of half our house which we moved into in 1956.
I am currently writing my memoirs and by joining this group am hoping to fill in a few 'blank' spots, eg. How were we transported from Sydney to the Balgownie Hostel - Train or Bus? Thanks in advance for any help with this and other related questions to follow.
I would post a 1954 photo of my family if I knew how Embarassed

Kindest regards
Eric
Bren Bren has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1956 we went from Sydney to Fairy Meadow by train with carriages like the old wild west trains with a platform at each end. From Fairy Meadow station we were taken by coach to Balgownie Hostel to be greeted by a large crowd of people waiting to see the 'newbies' and asking where they came from.
lorettamathew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such grand welcome always gives enthusiasm in whatever we are doing. It must be a very good experience for you all.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh take your hand away.
HappyCamper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Voyage to Australia in 1954 - Link moved or deleted Reply with quote

The account by William P. Nash of his voyage to Australia in 1954 (same ship as we were on) which was at this link (http://member.melbpc.org.au/~nashr/The%
20Voyage%20to%20Australia.html) seems to have been moved or deleted. Lucky I downloaded it some time ago and have since put it on FaceBook groups "Balgownie Hostel" and "Guernsey Expats" in "Files"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: