Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balgownie or Fairy Meadow Hostel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavanhe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Balgownie or Fairy Meadow Hostel? Reply with quote

Hi all
We arrived in 1960 and initially went to Skyville migrant centre for approximately 3 months. Then we moved to Balgownie Hostel. We were there for approximately 2 years. I do have good memories of the place as I was a little over 12 at the time.
I have a question though, my sister is adamant that Balgownie hostel is really known as Fairy Meadow hostel. Who is correct and when was the name change initiated if at all.
Cheers and thanks in advance.
Gerry
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Gerry,
Balgownie Hostel and Fairymeadow Hostel were the same Hostel.It was Balgownie when we were there in 1963 but was later changed to Fairymeadow so you are both right Smile
vennemann

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to you all who have doubts about the name,

I we arrived in 1954 from Holland as a 12 year old and it was definitely Balgownie Hostel then, which in hindsights I find a bit curious too as Balgownie was towards the mountain of which I managed to fall/roll down, that is the path from the old mine and ended up bruised and a skinned back. Had a lot of fond memories and friends.

Hans Vennemann
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friend here in Geelong, Melanie Wileman who was in Fairy Meadow for a while about 1969. She had older sisters Denise and Sharon, and a couple of others whose names I don't know. They were from Leicester in England.
David worboys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vennemann wrote:
Hi to you all who have doubts about the name,

I we arrived in 1954 from Holland as a 12 year old and it was definitely Balgownie Hostel then, which in hindsights I find a bit curious too as Balgownie was towards the mountain of which I managed to fall/roll down, that is the path from the old mine and ended up bruised and a skinned back. Had a lot of fond memories and friends.

Hans Vennemann
Hi there Hans, did you know the Buggenum family, namely Willi(Wilhelmus) Corri and Truse, Regards David
David worboys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Balgownie name of Reply with quote

Balgownie Migrant Hostel was it's name. It was in the area known as Fairymeadow. Strangely enough the beach which could, in the 50's ,when I lived there , be walked to on a dirt road directly from the edge of the hostel at Davis Rd, was named Fairymeadow beach and it was very popular with the hostel residents who mainly used it. I worked, as a fifteen year old on the Railway Station there, my first job in Australia and each and every ticket I sold or collected had"Balgownie" as it's name. Regards David
zoorock72

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: fairy meadow 1972 Reply with quote

I will never forget the first time I saw Fairy Meadow Beach, coming from the North of England I was stunned at the beauty of it all
Tilburydocks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Photographs of Balgownie Hostel in 1957, we arrive 8th jan Reply with quote

Hi,
I dont think my paents cold have owned a camera as we did nt have any photogrpahs of Balgownie Hosel at all. I was 12 when we arrived at the Hostel, fresh off the S>S> Orontes. I could never settle first off and wag school with a girl named Norma. I think she was from Birmingham, or she called it Broom or Brum. I didnt have a school uniform lie other girls and that really bothered me. Not sure what Nrmas excuse ws but after being givne one by the school I was much happier. There were strange sounds like crickets and cretures like Goannas everywhere, folk were walking aout with bare feet and Penny lollies (Ice Lollies) became Paddle pops, weets became lollies, cases became ports and so forth. the Hostel had plenty activities to keep us occupied and I used to Jive with a Scottish gilr name Jean McLean who had a gorgeous little siste about one, named Christine. We used to mix a lot with Brenda and Magaret, who has a horse, II had a go, it was bare backed. We would go to the beach and jump high with the waves. Very dangerous as none of us could swim, we are here to tell the tale though. I remember a Welse gilr wih dark hair and seveal others by sight. Would love some photos of that time if possible plese. My Granddaughter is writing an essay and has brought bck some memories. I am also writing my Fmily Hisotry so I would love this part of my life feaured in it. Was anyone about the 8ith january 1957 til at least December that year or early 1958. We were the Place family from London. Lottie and Fred Place and their 6 children.
Edie
Tasmania where I have lived since 1958 and loving it.
Mick Atkin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was named Balgownie Hostel until 'C' block was demolished ( the silver Nissen huts on the southern side of the kids park) in the late 60's. They were replaced with modern brick veneer units that mainly housed the influx of Turkish migrants and later refugees from Vietnam. 'E' block was also demolished and rebuilt around that time.
Others have commentated on the beauty of the nearby Fairy Meadow beach.
I was an 11 year old boy on the 9th May 1957 and up to that time my only experience of beaches was wall to wall deck chairs on the beach at Blackpool, England. Having arrived from Britain the night before, we eagerly made our way to experience our first Aussie beach on that crystal clear sunny morning.
What a shock on arrival - miles of magnificent beach and not a single person to be sighted! What's wrong with people - where are the deck chairs? Where are the crowds?
Of course, during the following months not a grain of sand was not explored around that beach area and south to "Puckey's" bushland bordering 'Stuart park'. The hostel experience was a kids paradise but not so for many parents.
Tilburydocks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Fairy Meadow Beach Reply with quote

remember Fairy Meadow beach Mick. We lived at Balgownie from 14 February 1957 to about November of that year I think. We then came to Tasmania. I love it here. It was a wonder we kids were not drowned at that beach as we were unable to swim. We never lived near a beach in England. I remember having a lovely time jumping up and down in the waves, not a care in the world. We lived to tell the tale though. You must have been there at the same time as us.
You mention Blackpool. I visited there in 1998, it is a long way to the water on that beach. I saw light planes and cars on it. Not like the lovely soft sand in Australia. There are some lovely beaches in the UK though.

I did find a small photograph of a group of us at the Fairy Meadow beach a few months ago. I must try and find it. Some of the mothers and us children

I used to jitterbug with a girl from Glasgow Scotland at the youth Group in the Hostel. Her name was Jean. She had a baby sister called Christine who could walk and talk well at one year old. I remember the girls on the horse. I remember liking the school lunches. Baked beans and I like the cheese and pickles as well. Unfortunately one bad memory and big fright for my sister and I in the Hostel Laundry,(we were very lucky, we got away) but the rest of the time not so bad for us kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: