Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Villawood Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Villawood Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Villawood Hostel Reply with quote

Last year (a few months ago) I attended the 50 year celebration of Chester Hill North Public School.
When I lived in Villawood Hostel, in the last months of 1956, we were moved from the school, in the nissan huts, to the brand-spanking-new Chester Hill North Public School.
Only yesterday, I was telling my new neighbour how, in 52 years, I was only once made a little bit of fun of, as an immigrant.
Walking to the new school, from the hostel, a boy, in typical school shorts, well below the knees, laughed at my short shorts, then the fashion, in the Netherlands.
Please READ about it!HERE!
rpl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I stayed in Villawood in the period 1965-66 just after the time that the Easybeats were formed at Villawood Hostel. Remember another band of migrants playing in the laundry place every week with fantastic versions of "Tell Me" and "Fortune Teller".
Attended Chesterhill High.
longy62

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: i also was at villawood Reply with quote

my family and i also stayed at villawood hostel in mid 1965. i was only 2 1/2 at the time, but i had 3 older brothers. attended old guilford primary from 1968 to 1974 then off to chester hill high in 1975 till 1978.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My children went to Chester Hill High School when we lived at Villawood Hostel 1971-1973. :) Smile
Casper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpl wrote:
Hi, I stayed in Villawood in the period 1965-66 just after the time that the Easybeats were formed at Villawood Hostel. Remember another band of migrants playing in the laundry place every week with fantastic versions of "Tell Me" and "Fortune Teller".
Attended Chesterhill High.

Hi RPL,
About that other band of migrants playing in the laundry place every week with fantastic versions of "Tell Me" and "Fortune Teller". Are you sure it was a band? In 1965-66 my mate Charlie and I used to play and sing those songs all over the place in Villa Hostel. We also played Around & Around, Easy As Can Be, As Tears Go By, Carol and lots more. Charlie knew the Easybeats very well. He was there too in 1964. He played with them when they practised in the laundry room. In 1966 I did play in a band; we practised outside the Hostel somewhere on Miller rd. We did one gig at Susie Wongs on Kings Cross. That was our first and last gig Smile.
Regards,
Ron
longy62

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: i also was at villawood Reply with quote

longy62 wrote:
my family and i also stayed at villawood hostel in mid 1965. i was only 2 1/2 at the time, but i had 3 older brothers. attended old guildford primary from 1968 to 1974 then off to chester hill high in 1975 till 1978.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Villawood Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: