Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memories of Boat Passage & Arrival in Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clovergirl62

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Memories of Boat Passage & Arrival in Australia Reply with quote

Hello to everyone,

My family came over to Australia by ship in the 1950's from Northern Ireland.

Would you mind sharing your special moments and memories leaving home and arriving in Australia?

I would especially love to hear stories as your family prepared to leave UK, saying goodbye to loved ones and friends, the actual journey from your home to where you sailed from (which dock?), settling in on the boat, the memories of the passage, people you met, ports visited and how it felt to see the first glimpse of Australian shores.

I am writing a Screenplay including 1950-70's era and would value reading your cherished moments from those years.
Very Happy
Joy52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a facebook site called "Ten Pound Poms". You might have some luck finding what you want on there. Good luck with that.
Clovergirl62

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Joy52"]There is a facebook site called "Ten Pound Poms". You might have some luck finding what you want on there. Good luck with that.

[http://tenpoundpom.com/stories-view.php?storyid=20/quote]

Hi Joy,

We are not on Facebook - though I just found the link above, it looks a great read.

Are you familiar with information about people leaving on the ship from Ireland, Hollyhead? Or would people immigrating travel to the UK in the 1950s/60 by ferry to board at Southhampton?

I'm sure there is a plethora of information about people leaving and the actual departures, its a little overwhelming deciding where to look first.

This site has great nostaligia in people's stories, so I decided to ask here first. Smile

Thanks so much for your insight to the Facebook site.
Joy52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not familiar with anything to do with the Hollyhead from Ireland. We left from Tilbury Docks. You could try the Australian National Archives site. They are a great mine of information.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family left NI in 1964. If you go to the Altona Hostel thread and find AUSSIETREKKER'S MEMOIRS, you will find a warts-and-all account of our journey and arrival, hopefully there is something that will be useful. Good luck with your project.
gaskin family

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: boat voyage from England Reply with quote

hey there everyone, l will not be much help as l was just a little kid, we sailed from england for what port l have no idea, l do know we were on the boat for six weeks, l do know that on the trip we took there were lots of italians on board, l do know it was rough , and being a kid, was not allowed on deck without my parents, we did have party when we crossed the equator, with king neptune, ( the kids had to dress up, my mum used crepe paper and made outfits for me and my brothers, l was tinker bell, one brother was captain hook, and the other peter pan,,, the winner was dressed as a mermaid. we arrived in perth australia, it was so hot, we wanted to go back to england, it must of been 115 that day, we did keep sailing and docked in melbourne around the 7 of nov 1967. I think our boat was called the australian, or something like that, we had a cabin with two bunk beds, our dad was not surpose to be with us, but we just topped and tailed on one bunk so he could stay..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: