Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

john buckley, bunnerong hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john buckley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: john buckley, bunnerong hostel Reply with quote

My name is john buckley,istayed in bunnerong hostel 1960,i was 18 years old .my family emigrated on the fairsky.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Bunnerong Hostel 1960 Reply with quote

Hi John, I was there in 1960 also ex the Fairsky arriving around April that year.
I don't remember you..probably because I was only 11 years old then and our paths may not have crossed?
Did you know the Randall family at all...they were neighbours of us in the UK beforehand and ended up coming to Aus and at Bunnerong Hostel?
We left for NZ in late 1961 due to a recession at that time.
Cheers, Bob.
john buckley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
i arrived on june 22nd 1960,my family lived in block 7 south.
the familys we knew at that time were,sloane,valiant stone cox,weston and morris
i cannot remember the Randalls our paths may not have crossed.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Bunnerong Hostel 1960 Reply with quote

I think we might have known the Morris family...if my recollection is right they were Welsh people the father was Dai. They had a son and a daughter. My late father George was very good friends with Dai. I used to play board games with the daughter. The son was a " Jack the Lad" ...nice guy but got into bother quite often.
Do you know presuming I'm right?...what became of them, as we lost touch with most people on coming To NZ. Bob.
john buckley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob.
the Morris family i knew came from leeds as far as i know
the son was maurice morris and the daughter was Pauline morris
Cheers,John.
tjphd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: new member Reply with quote

Hi,
My family and I flew from England. I arrived as a 13 year old with my parents - John and Betty Charlier, 3 younger brothers - Stuart, Paul and Peter and a sister, Susan age 4 years at Mayfield NSW migrant hostel in November 1964.

We were housed at the end of AA Block.
Dad was sponsored by BHP. later worked at Courtaulds (sp?). Mum worked in the hostel dining room/kitchen for a while.

I attended Hunter Girls High School in Hamilton, Newcastle.

We stayed in the hostel for approx. 2 years and then moved to a house @ Gateshead.
Anyone at Mayfield hostel during this time?
cheers, Terry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: