Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabramatta Hostel 1964-65

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Kennedy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel 1964-65 Reply with quote

Hello all. just discovered this site and had a quick flick through some posts. My parents and family arrived in Sydney May 13 1964 by plane and moved straight onto Cabramatta Hostel. settled in quite quickly and in early 1965 was co-opted into the EastEnders on the strength of having an acoustic guitar but ended up playing bass. Remember Danny Taylor, Phil and Derek Girkin, Steve Underwood, Eddie Williams, Jack Campbell and many others. Still in Australia and loving it.
pat Kennedy
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pat

My name is Ken Lockett. I remember you well, also remember all the faces behind the names you mention in your post. In fact I was over in Sydney eighteen months ago on a trip visiting Jack Campbell. I stayed with Jack and his lovely wife Phil at their place in Bossley Park; he hasn't moved very far in all these years, but I can tell you he's still a great lad, and lots of fun to be around.
Am I correct in thinking your family came to Cabramatta from Bethnal Green? and have you two sisters? and is one sister named Nula (not sure of the spelling). Or am I completely mistaken; won't be the first time.
We left Australia in November 1965 and returned to the UK, though I have visited a number of times since, for different lengths of time, still love going to Sydney.
Anyway, hope Australia has been kind to you and your family.

All the best.

Ken Lockett
Patrick Kennedy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ken, i haven't really kept in touch with the 1960's crowd over the years. More recently getting more into social media type stuff since my retirement about 11 years ago and always surprised who and what pops out of the woodwork.
You've got most. Of the details correct except I came from Acton, West London. I think Eddie Williams was from Bethnal Green area.
Nuala now lives in Mount Pritchard and was told recently by ? That Jack Campbell lives fairly close to her. I don't get up that way as much as I probably should but willtry and catch up with them someday. I read in another post he and some mates catch up at Marconi club so may try there.
I have plenty more memories to go through but will leave it for the moment and reappear on the Cabra Hostel page which isrobably more appropriate.
Where abouts in Scouse do you live? been there a couple of times over the last5years, it has certaintly changed from the 1950's.

Keep well and hope tocatch up shortly.
Pat
Oldhamred

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: The girkins Reply with quote

Hi All.
I've just come across this site and noticed the names of Derek and Phillip Girkin who I believe are my cousins who emigrated from London in the 1960s.
We met up only once when we visited them from up North around 1958/ 1959.Does anyone still have contact with them
Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: