Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aging population

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: aging population Reply with quote

It is sad that most of that immigrated back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s are all starting to drift into our old age and finally pass away.
We arrive June 3rd 1961 Mum, Dad, my Brother and me, on the Fairsky, Dad passed away in 1975, brother is cripple with arthritis, mum 91 in hospital not expected to come out again me still going strong.
My wife and i will heeding back to the dart this year for the first time,
my wife is a Scot that arrived in 1952, was at Fairy Meadow hostel.
Between us we only have 8 or 9 relos to see.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inevitable lifecycle catches up with us all in the end. Some families get a better deal than others, but for those of us who are still above ground, it's just as important to celebrate memories and good times, and imagine that those we lost are still with us. Neither of my parents made it to old age (56 and 66), both my brother and sister survived cancer, (brother lost a leg at 43) and I've had an extra 5 years' stay of execution after a near miss with bacterial meningitis. What can we do? Grow old as disgracefully as we can, be grateful to our parents for bringing us to Australia, and have a bloody good laugh each day with our old reminiscences. cheers
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: well said Reply with quote

Hello

Well said. Love your post. Going to Australia as a tenpounder gave my sister and me a wonderful experience and a positive outlook that has served us well.
As far as we know you get one chance at this life; we should make the most of it. Be happy each day is a simple, but important mantra.
Good luck with everything you do.

Ken Lockett
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: