Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brooklyn Hostel 1956-8 SS Orontes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjnichol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Brooklyn Hostel 1956-8 SS Orontes Reply with quote

Hi new to the forum we arrived in Melbourne on board the S.S. Orontes in April 1956 and left Brooklyn after 2 years. My name is Robert my sisters Sandra, Rosemary, Pamela, parents Sidney and Lucy Nichol. I was 7 y.o. and enjoyed myself most of the time although it was harder on my parents. We were at the north end of the hostel with other English, Irish and Scottish families and the only sport I played was boxing. We had pictures/movies on a Saturday afternoon and a very occasional trip to the zoo or whatever. The rest of the time we just roamed in a mob getting into trouble.
Whenever I think about hostel food I remember watery mashed potato, with overcooked cabbage and a runny gravy and minced meat.
In summer the huts were boiling hot and people sat outside in the evening or went to Altona Beach.
There was a barbed wire fence around the camp back then as well.
Feel free to contact.
clayto63

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, my great uncle Roger Evans and his wife Gladys and their son Roger travelled to Australia in 1950 and were still at the Brooklyn Hostel in 54 and maybe after. Roger jnr seems to have disappeared of the face of the earth as I have electoral roll records for Roger snr and Gladys up to 1980.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: