Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holmesglen Hostel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. There's so much more to go yet. Seven pages so far, and we've only been in Australia for two days Laughing
aussienomore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Memories Reply with quote

[quote="dvsineke"][quote="kate fletcher"].....The canteen was steamy, even on the hottest days, and always seemed to smell of fish kedgeree.
.....There was a children's prty in the Rec at Christmas, and we all got a present. We had film shows in the Rec as well.
...... The scrubland on the other side of the creek caught fire a few times during the years I was there, and the smell of smoke got into everything for days.
My parents worked at Sennett's ice cream factory, behind the canteen. It later becaame Street's factory.
Quote:

Kate you must have been older than me when you were there cause your memory of things is so much sharper. I do remember the smell of the canteen but my memory is of onion gravy smells. Pretty ordinary food. I also remember the Christmas parties and birthday celebrations. We were there from late 57 to very early 60. I have quite a few pictures of the hostel and will attempt to post some. My mother also worked at Sennets Ice Cream. Our family name was Kors and my parents were there with 4 kids in half a Nissan hut. Pretty squishy.
I attended St Mary Magdalen Catholic School which was walking distance from the Hostel. I was almost 5 when we arrived and 7 when we left.
aussienomore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussietrekker wrote:
Thanks. There's so much more to go yet. Seven pages so far, and we've only been in Australia for two days Laughing

My name is Kees Postma and I lived at Holmsglen migrant hostel from 1958/58 comming from Bonegilla. Recently I came across three old photographs of the family Kors. I'm sure you are at least in one of them.

One photograph taken on the twelve and a half year mariage of your Mother and father in their new family home somewhere in a Melbourne suburb. Mother and father with lot's of flowers around the fireplace and five children.

I'm sure your father Kors (can not remember his christian name) was employed for a number of years in my fathers painting company.

We returned to the Netherlands in 1968 and thereafter lost all contact.

If anyone can tell me how to submit these three photographs I will be glad to show them on this site.
Janet Williams

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Holmesglen Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/groups/137864526385865/[/quote]
roydroi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate fletcher wrote:
I lived at Holmesglen Hostel from 1958 - 1962. My parents hated the lack of privacy, but I was a child and accepted everything as normal life.
I remember the awful food in the canteen, and the stale bread rolls in the "crib bags" we were given to take to school for lunch. You ordered the filling the day before, and my mother would never let me choose chocolate spread. I was terrified of dropping a plate or cup in the canteen, because then the other kids would all cheer when it smashed on the ground. There was an urn full of a horrible pink milk drink, warmish in summer, hot in winter. It put me off milk for life. The canteen was steamy, even on the hottest days, and always seemed to smell of fish kedgeree.
In the shower block nearest the kindergarten, the first toilet was known to us kids as the "haunted toilet" but I was too frightened of ghosts to ask why. I just never used it.
There was a children's prty in the Rec at Christmas, and we all got a present. One year it was rollerskates, and the other kids seemed able to speed around on theirs within minutes, but I never managed to use mine without falling over.
We had film shows in the Rec as well. I recall The Iron Horse starring, I think, Alan Ladd. There were Norman Wisdom comedies, and Woody Woodpecker cartoons. Often the film broke down in the middle, and we'd all be given our money back, which seemed a pretty good deal to me: half a film for nothing.
I remeber the creek flooding one year, and the water almost reaching the back row of huts, The scrubland on the other side of the creek caught fire a few times during the years I was there, and the smell of smoke got into everything for days.
My parents worked at Sennett's ice cream factory, behind the canteen. It later becaame Street's factory. Every so often, a revoting smell of amonia would drift from the place and settle over the canteen. You could even taste it in the food, not good to start with.
We lived in hut 44 to start with, then were moved to hut 32, and finally hut 34, the last two in the row opposite the canteen and Rec. Probably too long ago for anyone to remember us now.[/i]

To all, I just want to leave a message for my Mom, she was living with her family named Smith coming from Amsterdam , with her 2 little sisters between 1958-1963 , my grandma was working in Sennetths icecream factory and She arrived with her family on the vessel : De Waterman , She is looking for the Family Lippens & Family Cremer that also were Dutch, I do have some pictures of Holmes Glen and will upload them ; again her name is Margeretha Smit (De Lange) if anyone one has a connection or knows it would be great , I just gave her an Aussy trip and we are now in Melbourne. tx Roy
Looking for people from Homesglen 1959/1963 for Margeretha Smit (De Lange) arrived with the Liner / boat : De waterman from the Netherlands with her Dutch Family Smit , Family lippens are you here? Family Cremer? would be great..
roydroi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussienomore wrote:
aussietrekker wrote:

My name is Kees Postma and I lived at Holmsglen migrant hostel from 1958/58 comming from Bonegilla. Recently I came across three old photographs of the family Kors. I'm sure you are at least in one of them.

One photograph taken on the twelve and a half year mariage of your Mother and father in their new family home somewhere in a Melbourne suburb. Mother and father with lot's of flowers around the fireplace and five children.

I'm sure your father Kors (can not remember his christian name) was employed for a number of years in my fathers painting company.

If anyone can tell me how to submit these three photographs I will be glad to show them on this site.

Hi Kees, it seems that my mom was there with her family in the exact same time in Holmesglen also from the Netherlands and started of in Bonegilla her family traveling with her Father & Mother named Smit and a total of 3 little girls including her in her 14's if you post the pics I can ask her to see them we are looking for the family Lippens & Cremer ... it would be great..tx
Looking for people from Homesglen 1959/1963 for Margeretha Smit (De Lange) arrived with the Liner / boat : De waterman from the Netherlands with her Dutch Family Smit , Family lippens are you here? Family Cremer? would be great..
roydroi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussienomore wrote:
aussietrekker wrote:

Hi Kees, it seems that my mom was there with her family in the exact same time in Holmesglen also from the Netherlands and started of in Bonegilla her family traveling with her Father & Mother named Smit and a total of 3 little girls including her in her 14's if you post the pics I can ask her to see them we are looking for the family Lippens & Cremer ... it would be great..tx

you need to post you pictures on some account of Flickr or facebook in public , press right click when you posted the photo to see the url , paste this link in this forum between the Img selection or just post the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: