Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We Lived in Bradfield Park ... As battling Aussie Family :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenny Olsen (nee Tant)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: We Lived in Bradfield Park ... As battling Aussie Family :( Reply with quote

Wow! There are some great and interesting stories here. :) Love them.

I've only really just found out that we used to live at Bradfield Park, after my Mum's passing almost 2 years ago... was looking through old family photos and Dad said " this is Bradfield Park were we all lived) I don't remember any of it ... I was very young.......

My family weren't migrants, we were just an Aussie battling family Sad

Though apparently, my great great grandfather, aged 27' might have been ... he came out just after Captain cook .. he was an officer of the law (a Bobby?) Not sure if he emigrated or was posted here. ... He married and stayed for many many years after.. In their very later years (60/70's), they moved back to England (Not sure on their full story though Sad )

Apparently, I lived at Bradfield Park with my Dad, Mum, & 7 siblings (two eldest boys were Deaf / the youngest pair .. twins)

From what I can gather, from small talk conversations with my Dad... he got Polio while there .... they don't really talk much about their time back then, Dad said "it was hard and sad moments for them. a real battling time for us all" Sad

SO Bradfield Park...
My parents have a photo of us all standing out the front of our hut (Home).
I was 'about' two years of age, so I'm guessing we lived there in and around 1961/62 as the twins were born in Oct 61 (one passed away in Aug 62 Sad ... (both are in this photo). But I'm not sure on when we arrived there (if I was born there in 1959 as my birth certificate just says Sydney Sad) Or when we moved out.
Then, when we did move out, it was to a housing commission area in Quakers Hill (think that too was some kind of housing refuge), then not long after (years?) we moved into a 4 bedroom commission house in Busby where my father still lives today.
Reason why i think Quakers Hill was some kind of Housing refuge is because most of the families that lived there along side us, also moved in and around the Busby/Green Valley are when we did).

So going to have to look into all this more now, Hopefully my father will give out more today than what they have been over the years. :)
peterv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jenny

Thank you for the interesting story of your family. My family was also in the "Housing Settlement" part of Bradfield Park (from 1959-61) although we were migrants.

There are also a couple of Bradfield Park Facebook groups which you would be welcome to join.

Peter
Jenny Olsen (nee Tant)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Peter :) I will check them out :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: