Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reasons why Migrants couldn't settle in Australia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluebird

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember us having one of those jugs with the replaceable element. The school lunches were dried up jam or vegemite sandwiches....that looked as if they'd been frozen and thawed out...we survived!! :)
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those crib bags...pretty gross, we made our own sammies from the salads they offered from dining room. Looked forward to Mondays sometimes would get money from my parents and would run to the fish chip and cake shop at Matraville shops and wrestle the other kids to get served.
middleton

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: migrants returning home Reply with quote

My wife & I arrived in Sydney in February 1951 via MV Mooltan, we were immediately shipped to an army camp in Bathhurst. In this camp we were treated very badly by ex Australian Army personnel staffing the camp. Most of the British migrants were young ex servicemen as was myself & we stuck up for ourselves, so they very quickly shipped us to Melbourne. My wife & I stuck it out & are still here in Perth. Most migrants I knew in the camps were used to a more comfortable life style, Australia in those days was quite primitive, no night life,etc. There was also a small minority of Australians who were anti- British migrants & not frightened of telling you very vocally-As a consequence the women particularly got very homesick & yearned for home & a more pleasant daily home life among relatives & lifelong friends & just could'nt hack it any more so just went home! Britain wasn't a very pleasant place in the early 1950's with rationing & shortages so maybe a case of jumping out of the frying pan into the fire?
Jack Randles
David Neale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I returned to the Uk after 4+ years in 1972 when I was 20. It was due to family circumstances. I had every intention of returning to Australia but the situation in the UK turned out to be extended and then life took over.. I joined the British Army as I needed a steady job... By the time I had finished in the Army I was too old to be let back in.
I loved every minute when I was in Australia. I love the people and the country and would still be there today had I had the chance.
I have been back once or twice and it has only re-enforced how much I love the place... I always feel like I'm returning 'home'.....C'est la vie. I'm not going to be let back in now...
Patrick Kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Migrants returning to UK Reply with quote

My family and I arrived to Cabramatta hostel in May 1964. I recall my mother was very upset re conditions at the hostel (compared to what we had left in London). This passed after time but I think that apart from homesickness and family separation, most families returning in mid to late 1960's did so to evade the possibility of conscription and sevice in Vietnam.
Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember mum saying there were a lot of people that got talked out of doing the hard yards by others that had been here a while and had made their mind up to return home, full of negativity and made no effort to even explore anything outside the hostel other than work. One guy my dad made friends with on the boat had made his mind up to return more or less as soon as he got here. I think you had to stay for 2 years otherwise you had to repay full fare over and full fare back. It worked out, for some families, that with the money they saved to return, they could have nearly half paid a house off in some area's, something they would never get the chance to do on their return. The 1970's were pretty glum in the UK going by the letters we were getting from relatives. There must have been quite a few that had homesickness overpower any thought of giving it a go, maybe regretting it later
chris whalley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I remember mum saying there were a lot of people that got talked out of doing the hard yards by others that had been here a while and had made their mind up to return home, full of negativity and made no effort to even explore anything outside the hostel other than work. One guy my dad made friends with on the boat had made his mind up to return more or less as soon as he got here. I think you had to stay for 2 years otherwise you had to repay full fare over and full fare back. It worked out, for some families, that with the money they saved to return, they could have nearly half paid a house off in some area's, something they would never get the chance to do on their return. The 1970's were pretty glum in the UK going by the letters we were getting from relatives. There must have been quite a few that had homesickness overpower any thought of giving it a go, maybe regretting it later

Your post sounds to me like a person who had no experience of � migrants life in Australia
Many people returned to Australia because of the racism offered to British migrants , verbal taunts, physical assaults , and downright hostility
Australia backward looking, boring , a shallow culture of beer swilling, poker machines brothels.....
I returned to Britain in 1970 after 5 years , Britain was GREAT, home to where we belonged.
The Aussie "fair go" what a sick joke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: