Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monica Schofield murder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jurrassicsparks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Monica Schofield murder Reply with quote

Does anybody remember the Monica Schofield murder in 1963.I was 12 years old and her brother was a friend of mine.She was murdered at Dead Mans Creek close to Heathcote and East Hills hostel.I remember being on a search for her.I was with my family at East Hills hostel for 6 months.
jt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember all the kids from East hills looking through the bush from the bridge past the first camp down to east hills i think it was a army guy that killed her ? jeez imagine doing that these days!!!
jurrassicsparks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Schofields lived on Heathcote Hostel,i remember how distraught her brother was when she was missing.I cant for the life of me remember his name although my mum who is still alive has a photo and hes on it sitting outside the entry to the hostel when my Auntie,uncle and my cousins arrived the first day.Do you remember the walk between the 2 hostels?It was called the desert.I remember the bull ants chasing us.Another memory were the cups and plates,a funny type of material that were an orange colour.mum was very homesick on the hostel but dad convinced her to at least try Aussie out so we moved to Revesby and stuck out the 3 years.We then came to NZ but mum and dad returned to QLD till dad passed away in 2003.Mum is over here now and quite happy.They were tough days for new immigrants on those hostels with no air cond in the summer months.
Vicky Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Monica Schofield murder Reply with quote

jurrassicsparks wrote:
Does anybody remember the Monica Schofield murder in 1963.I was 12 years old and her brother was a friend of mine.She was murdered at Dead Mans Creek close to Heathcote and East Hills hostel.I remember being on a search for her.I was with my family at East Hills hostel for 6 months.

I remember this happening, we lived at 123a between Sept 1961 and Sept 1963, the men from the camp on East Hills and Heathcote went with the guys from the army camp trying to locate her. I thought it was a soldier as well that murdered her.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: The desert Reply with quote

Hi Jurrassickspark, I sorta remember the open space between the end of Heathcote hostel across to the footbridge, the Navy homes were to the left of the open area we called the desert. The short walk from East Hills hostel to Heathcote was either on the bitumin road or through the short cut across the corner of the two roads, that was in 1956/60, was Irene Cross still at E.H. when you were there ? cheers for now...Norm
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Monica Schofield murder Reply with quote

Barry Rodrick was given a life sentence for the rape and murder of Monica in June 1963.
He died in 1970 after shooting himself in prison with a home made gun.
Source, Sydney Morning Herald.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Monica Schofield murder Reply with quote

Having just come back from a trip to Sydney, I now have the complete document produced by the Australian Police Journal article of March 1997. There is approx 50 pages of text and photos. It is in PDF format and the photos have not scanned so well. I am attempting to obtain a better quality document, although this might not be possible.
WARNING! The article contains photos of Monica after her murder and may be harrowing to some.
It is a fully descriptive account of the events over and around the event and names witnesses etc. The article is available from the Liverpool Public Library to anyone who wants it, however it is not available on line.
Hence my offer to anyone who wants a copy, please PM me. Richard.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was it one of the soldiers who murdered her?
Bluebird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gave me a chill....I used to hitchhike to Deadman's Creek with a couple of friends as a young girl in 1966.....and got picked up by an army truck and told off for being so stupid...they took us home!!
Joy52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on Heathcote at the time of the Monica Schofield murder. She was 2 years older than me but I do remember her. She was a very pretty girl with long fair hair and I think her brother's name was Phillip. My father and brother were on the search that took place through the bush surrounding the hostel. After the murderer was arrested he was taken to the police cells at East Hills before being transferred to Sydney. I heard that a group of men tried to form a lynch mob but the police had anticipated this and persuaded the men to return home to their wives and families. I believe that Monica's family returned to England very soon after and took her body with them for burial.
Bluebird

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only talking to a friend about this murder yesterday and how terrible it would have been for her family and friends.
gumnut57

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we were living in Heathcote Rd Hostel at the time and I remember how mum and dad never let me out of their sight after that. As young as I was then, the name of that poor wee girl has never left me....
Bluebird

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even begin to imagine how frightening it would have been for parents of children living there at the time. When did you return to the UK?
Gordon John Pearson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young boy at the age of about five i do recall one day missing a bus home from school. I was most concerned about this, as i had been told
that someone had been murdered. The year was indeed 1963. My parents
had emigrated to Australia from England on the �10.00 pommy ticket
and wee stayed at The Heathcote Road Hostels.

If anyone wishes to write to me about this then will you please send
me an email on - [email protected]

We ended up returning to the UK in late 1963.

Thank You.

Mr Gordon Pearson.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ninette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never forget Monica. Whenever I hear the song Blue on Blue I think of her as it was popular at the time. As 3 little girls we used to go off in the bush and walk all over the Army Dump and between East Hills and Heathcote . I don't remember if anything changed for us after Monica was murdered. There were all sorts of rumours flying around amongst the kids about what had happened.
East Hills 1963/1964
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: