Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Hills Photo 1965

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: East Hills Photo 1965 Reply with quote

Since joining this forum I've been searching for photos of that time. So far I've only come up with this one:

From l. to r. my mother Sini with our dog Akim, my sister Trudy (standing) and Sylvo, another resident with an unidentified canine.

This photo was taken in 1965, in front of our hut: No. 6. at the far end of the hostel. From the window visible in the photo, you looked straight out into the bush along Williams Creek. That was actually a great walk along the creek. You could follow it right to where it joined the Georges River, opposite Milperra and then follow the River back to the footbridge at East Hills.

Sylvo was one of the few non-Brits on the hostel. He came from what was then Yugoslavia. His wife was German. Other then them and ourselves, I remember only two other continental European families. One was Spanish (my sister was friends with their daughter) and the other was German. A widow I believe, with two teenage sons named Harry & Louie.

Akim the dog was also a controversial character. He'd adopted us as his family and he was always hanging around our hut. When hostel management organised one of their periodic pogroms against the dogs (they did get out of hand), the dog catcher came around to collect Akim as well. I don't think he realised how close he came to joining his past victims in "The Desert". We kept the dog and took him with us when we ultimately left the Hostel.

Ed
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I have ever heard of dogs or any kind of pets for that matter being allowed on the Hostels,it was a strict rule at Altona,and I dont recall having seen any at other hostels that I visited at the time
Hollander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pets weren't allowed, but stray dogs kept on gravitating towards the hostel, where kids and others would befriend or feed them. Periodically the hostel management organized for the dogs to be rounded up and taken away. We wouldn't let them take Akim and the management ultimately gave up on the condition that we take the dog with us when we left. We had the support of most of the other denizens of our little corner of the hostel and it was a gigantic storm in a teacup, especially since we had indicated that we would be leaving shortly anyway.

So, we kept the dog and took him with us when we left.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a dog that hung around the camp all the time when I was at East Hills. He was a German Shephard and everyon called him "shep". I have a photo of him still.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the very early days dogs were allowed but it changed as the years went by .Our dear old Kelpie was the last remaining "legal" dog on Commonwealth Hostels Ltd. and he died in 1970 aged 15 years 9 months. cry
We also later had poodles but sad to say they were illegal some of the other managers also had dogs who were not legal too.Ithought it a bit mean as it was our life and we had good fencing but !!!!!!!
If you already had a dog when the ruling was changed you could keep it but you couldn't replace it.
Anyway when we returned to NZ our poodles came with us as did our cats. Very Happy Very Happy
jean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am new to the forum I was wondering if the Irene Paterson in the post office photo was my friend who returned to the UK in 1963 I seem to remember she had older brothers who stayed in Australia but I thought they were called miv and mav! Perhaps these were nicknames. I was at the hostel 124A from April till October or November 1963 we flew out here my elder brother John and younger brother Phil my parents and myself Jean Channon. I had a postcard from Irene sent from the Fairsky but unfortunately never had her home address to keep in contact.
ninette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eddie. I was your neighbour and lived in the other half of your hut. My name is Glynis ( I was only 9/10 years old at the time.) and my sisters were Elizabeth and Vivien. Mum and Dad are Maurice and Jean Ross. They are still alive and living in Morrinsville NZ. I live in Auckland. I remember you all so well. I loved your Mum and will never forget her kindness. I used to sit and drink tea with her and she had a large teaspoon collection which fascinated me. She stuck in my mind as one of the kindest people I ever met and I'd never forget her. I hope she is still alive and you can tell her this.So wonderful to see your photo and hear from you.Where do you live now?
Hollander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great memory Ninette!! I'm glad that you have such fond memories of my mother. I've PM'd you separately but I'm having no luck with the photo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: