Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colmslie 1955

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Colmslie Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdavies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Colmslie 1955 Reply with quote

My name is Hugh Davies and I arrived from Scotland in September 1955 age 5. We stayed at the Colmslie Hostel in Brisbane and now, at 59 I have a hankering to take a closer look at those times. I have found some good info on passenger lists etc. on the boat we arrived on (MV Georgic), as well as a plan of the Colmslie Hostel.

I believe that what remains of the Hostel is part of a Hans Smallgoods factory and has been Heritage Listed. I still live within easy driving of the site but haven't been there in years. I hope to get permission from the current owners to visit the remains of the Hostel and take some photos. There appears to have been a couple of other members who stayed at the Colmslie Hostel and would be glad to share any photos I am able to take and any other information I come across.

Regards to all!
Len

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hugh welcome to our forums. I it�s great to have you here.

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,
Would love to see the photos if you get Len to post some.My photos are of my kids and mostly in the house. Though have a good one of the lounge chairs we had at that time.
Were you still there in 1958 as we were there then.? Do you remember "Bounce" one of the manager's cocker spaniels? He was always biting someone me included Smile .
hdavies

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len and Phyl,

Unfortunately, my memories of the Colmslie Hostel are a bit dim (I had only just turned 5). We arrived in September 1955 and stayed for about six months. I remember the mossie bites covering my arms and legs and anything else that was left uncovered for too long. Vague memories of a jetty and getting my leg stuck when one of the boards broke and a fire in the paddock next door (which I believe was a fuel storage area) with the fire brigades trying to put it out.

I also remember starting a fire in our hut when mum and dad were visiting someone at another hut. We had one of the old (state-of-the-art in those days) fly spray units (pour the fly spray into the canister then pump the handle to spray it around) and I discovered that if I lit a match and propped it up using the matchbox, I could blow it out using the fly spray. Worked well the first two times, but on the third attempt the spray ignited and became a flame thrower setting my mother's handbag alight on the table.

I talked to my mum (now 88) earlier tonight about the hostel and asked if she could remember the manager's name or any other staff member names. I have attached a map that I found in the National Archives. It shows the layout of the buildings as at 1949.

Ooops. Seem to be having trouble attaching the image. Will try to send direct to Len.

Anyhow, until next time.

Hugh
Len

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the fire in your hut didn�t go down to well with your parents Hugh. Mr. Green

I got the map thanks Hugh. Not too sure about copyright etc but I�ve added it via a link because unfortunately the image will be too large for the forums. I�ve also added (Printed on) where the image has originated from. i.e. National Achieves of Australia.

Colmslie map here:
hdavies

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len,
Quote:
I bet the fire in your hut didn�t go down to well with your parents Hugh.

Not at all Laughing

I had a thought last night about the Colmslie map. I was using Google Maps to look at a satellite view of the Colmslie site and wondered about overlaying the Google image with the National Archive map and taking that combined image with me when I visit the site with my camera. I'll be able to identify exactly where the original buildings were. Ain't technology a wonderful thing?

Regards and thanks, Hugh
Ian G

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Colmslie Reply with quote

Hi I was there in 1961. Please would love to see photos and have any information about the place location excetera , please. E-mail me with information
docannie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Comslie Hostel Brisbane Reply with quote

I was there in 1959 aged 5 and along with my two other sisters and three brothers. We came from Biggar Scotland on the Orontes boat. Six week voyage through the Suez canal etc. Pretty exciting for a family who had never been out of Scotland. Any pictures of the place would be great to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Colmslie Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: