Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

primary school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jurrassicsparks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: primary school Reply with quote

did anybody go to Hammondville Primary in the early 60s?I have memories of the school being evacuated for a short time when a brown snake was in the playground,that would have been in 1963.It was a deadly snake.We arrived on march1 1963.It was a very hot day and we wondered what we had come to.Tin huts with extremely hot weather.Mum wanted to go home to England.
Joy52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jurassicparks. I was at Hammondville 62-64 and I remember that day when the snake was in the playground - we were all very excited. On my first day there a kangaroo hopped up onto the verandah outside the classrooms and looked in the window of my classroom. It belonged to a local and was quickly returned home. My most vivid memory though is of a teacher bringing a tape recorder to school and getting us all to speak into it and then proceeding to point out how terrible we sounded especially those who didn't sound their "h". You can appreciate how this was for those of us on Heathcote Hostel at Hammondville! Assembly on Friday was in the boys' playground and we had to salute the Aussie flag. We moved to Christchurch in 1964. Great to reminisce with you.
Soundman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Hammondvile School.... Reply with quote

Hello Joy, i dont know is you still frequent the East Hills site any more, I also attended Hammondville School, from 61 to 64 and have the pictures to prove it as well lol. Have pictures off all my class years frome 1961 through to 1964 and when i get a little more time will upload them to my laptot so that i can add them to East Hills Forum. You never know , you just might get a shock, as 3 of the 4 school pictures have girls in my class. Fantastic forum, brinning back so many memorys for me. Hopefully speak to you soon then Joy.

Many Thanks

Ian....... Smile
Joy52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Soundman, I had not been on this site for a while so lucky that I tuned in today! I was on Heathcote Hostel but did know some kids off East Hills. I don't remember Hammondville having boys and girls in mixed classes but do remember going up to the boys' school for assembly on Friday. I have a picture of my class 1962 with Miss Gibson as teacher. I am also on "Ten Pound Poms" site and have posted that school photo on there. Good to hear from you.
Soundman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Joy, many thanks for getting back to me then, thought maby the Migrantweb Hostels Forum was inactive, so, very nice to hear from you then. Since i joined the forum, i did a bit of digging/searching and found lots of photos of our time at the East Hills camp, but right at this very moment as i reply back to you i have in my hands 4 Class photographs from my time at Hamondville School, the first picture is of me in the Hamondville Infants class 2b from 1961 with boys and girls, next one, 1962 Hamondville Primary School, class 3b with boys and girls,followed by the 1963 Hamondville Primary School 4th Class, and this one is just all boys, and finnaly 1964 Hamondville Primary School Class 5A with boys and girls again. As soon i get either my scanner or printer set up Joy, will scan them into my laptop and then upload them to the forum for you to see. I will also have to check out this other site you were talking about " Ten Pound Poms " sounds very interesting. Once again, very nice to chat with you, and look forward to catching up with you soon.
Many Thanks

Ian...... Smile
Soundman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Joy, need your help if possibile then. I managed to bring up the " Ten Pound Poms " website, but having problems in trying to register with them, and was wondering if you experianced the same thing when you joined them. Any tips or hints on how to get round this problem would be most appreciated Joy.

Many Thanks

Ian....... Smile
Joy52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. When I joined the Ten Pound Poms site there was something that said "join group" at the top of the group page. I think you may have to be on FB to join (not exactly sure of that though). There is something though that says "invite " so if you continue to have trouble PM me and I think I can get you on that way. It is much easier to put photos on that site than this one and is very active. Good luck and contact me if need be. Joy
Soundman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Joy, sorry i couldent PM you, says i'm " Not Authorised " so just having to get back to you with a message lol. I would like to take up your kind offer of you hopefully getting me singed up to the " Ten Pound Poms " Web/Fourm site then, as i am not haveing any luck what so ever here at all. It says you have to enter an active email add, when your filling out the registration to join, but every time i enter in the details it keeps telling me that it's not an active email ??? and just sends me back to the beginning to start all over again :-( I also tried to get in touch with the site as well, to explan the problems i was haveing, but just kept bouncing message back to me, telling me that it couldent be sent. Unfortunatly the Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum site seems so inactive, which is a pitty, as i was so looking forward to catching up with everyone who had stayed over their at one point or another, and would loved to have caught up with all there storys. So hopefully you can do something from your side, whare i can join the " Ten Pound Poms " fourm, and hopefully catch up with yourself and other like minded people as well, to reminisce all the great times i had, and also to post some great pictures as well for you all to enjoy. Look forward to hearing back from you soon then Joy, till then you take care.
Many Thanks
Ian....... Smile
Joy52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, I sent you a PM so let me know by message if you do not get it. In order to get on TPP you must be a member on Facebook so sign on there first and then give it another go. Joy
ninette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I was at Hammondville Primary 1962/3. I was the girl school captain Glynis Ross the boy captain was Robert Dransfield. I had the honour of holding up the flag and saying "repeat the pledge with me" I wish I could remember the words to that pledge. I looked up once "Australian pledge "but there are many different ones. Do you remember the song books and learning songs like "Wild Colonial Boy" and Waltzing Mathilda?
fairstar1965 fairstar1965 has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I was at Hammondville from June 1966, aged 5. My teacher was a woman but I can't remember her name. It's a long shot but I wonder if anyone might remember her by my detailed description - aged about late 20s-early 30s, jet black hair shaped like Jackie Kennedy's, dark eyes, always wore pale lipstick, and on this occasion at least dressed in a white polo neck sweater and knee-length black skirt. Had a habit of glaring at you if you were playing up!

Everyone used to have a sing-song on the school bus as we headed up Heathcote Rd.
phil phil has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: hammondville school Reply with quote

remember the sing songs well , in fact i can still remember some of the songs lol

rule Brittania ... my old mans a dustman were popular songs

and one that still goes round in my head now

there was gravy, gravy,
enough to sink the navy
in the war , in the war.
in the super somehting war
my eyes are dim , i cannot see
i left my specs in the B-O-G
i leeeffftt my specs ithe bog

what was this song all about ? ha ha

all sang with great gutso, i dont know how the driver put up with it
ahh great times, luvved it

i was there from 68 -70 , i remember mr wells , headmaster - gave me the cane !
mr hadyn , deputy head i think and a mr windsor

also had a woman teacher (think her name was rogers) who used to like to stand you on the desk and hit you on the back of the legs with a 15 inch ruler !!
bastards lol
phil phil has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: school , Reply with quote

does anyone remember playing handball while waiting for the bus,

putting your little brown case on the floor with your hostel lunch in it in a line while waiting for the bus

did the bus used to go into heathcote first on the way home from school ?

used to love being the runner to go over to the shop opposite the school and bring back the lunches , ( sausage rolls , pies , etc) for those tha t had ordered them in the morning

recently went back and there is still a sandwich shop opposite where i had one of the best freshly made sandwiches i have had in a long time
ninette

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Hammondville east primary Reply with quote

I remember waiting for the bus. I used to visit my "boyfriend " in the butchers shop. I must look up and see if I have any old school reports with teachers names. I remember getting a pie and potato chips (crisps) and a matchstick from the tuck shop.Never thought about who brought it back from there. Anyone remember there being a dead horse on the way to school.(on the bus fromEast Hills and Heathcote)..it stunk for ages !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: