Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Hills Hostel 1970s Research Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
throwaway1234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: East Hills Hostel 1970s Research Help Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm not actually a migrant to Australia myself, I was born here to Australian parents and I have always lived in WA. However, I am currently undertaking research for a fictional book that I am writing.

One minor part of the book involves a migrant form Dublin, Ireland, settling into Sydney in 1977. I expect an Irish migrant would have to stay in a hostel for some time upon arriving. I have chosen East Hills Hostel for this. (Please let me know if that hostel in particular wouldn't be appropriate for the story - at this point, I know very little, I cannot find much information online and East Hills seems to be the most appropriate to me so far somehow).

I have collected some basic knowledge on East Hills Hostel in that time period but would like to request some help for further research here. What were living conditions like at the East Hills Hostel, preferably in the 1970s/late 1970s? Any information on the hostel in general then? What changes were undergoing at the hostel during this time? Photos?

How long would a single migrant from Dublin have to stay there having arrived in 1977? How would they get out?

I am planning to travel to Sydney in the future and will have a look at some libraries there.

But for now any information will help, very glad I found these forums, thanks in advance.
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello throwaway 1234

Read your post with some interest, in as much as you are writing a novel involving a migrant from Dublin.

In fact I have a novel due to be published probably Jan '20. My novel tells the story of a British family emigrating to Sydney in 1963 - the family I write about stayed at Cabramatta Hostel for two years before returning to England.

You might want to do more research on East Hills Hostel - my sense is that by 1977 most British and Irish migrants had moved off that hostel, and new migrants were probably being housed elsewhere, though I admit I am not entirely sure of that.

If you would like to Private Message me I would gladly help with your research, or indeed in any other way.

Yours faithfully

Ken
Backbyrner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi throwaway1234,

I lived on the hostel in 1971 after migrating from Dublin with my parents and siblings. I was the oldest at 8 years. My father got a job almost immediately after our arrival at the hostel as a professional painter and decorator in nearby Liverpool. We two eldest children went to Hammondville Public School whilst our toddler (3 year old) brother went to kinder/daycare.

We lived in one of the newer brick flats (Barnard 2) and once we got enough money together my parents took a lease on a place out in Lurnea/Casula. If you had a job with a sponsor from memory you could get off the hostel and out into suburbia. I loved my time on the hostel, especially fishing in Williams Ck and mucking about on the playground equipment.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: