Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arrival to Sydney. East Hills 1958

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy Unwin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Arrival to Sydney. East Hills 1958 Reply with quote

Hi All
Arrived in Sydney with my family in 1958 13 years old disembarked the Strathaird, onto the double Decker bus, I thought the local reception committee enrout were waving, it seemed like an eternity . I remember the older boys all waiting at the center of the camp to see what new talent was arriving newies they called us.
We were put in hut 29 just opposite the mess hall and I think there was a Kindergarten on the side of us. The following day I went down to the river for a look, a bit shallow I thought, wont be any fish in there. Dad got a job on the Snowy Project Straw bed and all, Sis started a Ballet class in East Hills, Mum stayed on the Camp and I got a job as a Welder after three months somewhere in Revesby, never went back to school. During the three months I got know the area along the river as far round to the foot bridge, Built tin canoes out of corrugated sheet and we caught fish, Borrowed Horses from the Army. It was the stuff boys dream of. I now live in Toowoomba and am at the moment working in Brisbane with Janet my better half. We lived and worked on construction Projects like the NW shelf, Asia and the Pacific from 1969 until 4 years ago when it seems we are now on the local circuit not that I am complaining as we need to settle down. East Hills was the start of a long and colorful journey and I always will be proud to say that my family was part of it.

Roy Unwin.
Len

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Roy. I have to agree with you, those days were an interesting time �good and bad� and if I had to go through it all over again, I most certainly would, but having said that, I myself was only a kid when our family went through the experience and obviously I didn�t have the worries that my parents may have had and Like you, I'm also proud to have been part of it.

It some times feels surreal. When I tell people about what it was like when our family arrived in Australia and tell them about the hostel in which we had stayed for the first couple of years they look at me in disbelief. They think I�m making it up and I sometimes wonder myself. Confused

It�s good though to be able to meet people �all be it, via the web� whom actually know what it was like having experienced similar things themselves. Proving that it wasn�t just a dream. grins

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy,
East Hills holds many memeories for me too, and I am so pleased I was part of it Smile
Great to read your post.
strathaird

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy, I realise it's been some time since you posted but I've just come across the passenger list of your sailing. If you would like a copy let me know. My family came out in October 1958. We were in hut 13!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: