Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unanderra Revisited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Cowan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Unanderra Revisited Reply with quote

Hi Len

I lived on the Hostel from March 1967 to late 1968.I moved back from England to Australia in 2001,I went down to Wollongong a year or two ago with my Mom who was visiting from England.It was nearly 40 years since we had been around Unanderra and it had changed, but around Port Kembla well the School that we attended,which we travelled on the bus from the hostel was closed in 1999 but was still there boarded up.The swimming pool had been refurbed in 2000 but Port Kembla area, the Cricket oval and beach were just the same.Fond memories.

Kind Regards Ian
Len

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, Thanks for joining us.

Yes, I know the area has changed even though I�ve never been there. I use google earth and its brill. I�ve searched/ look all-overs the place and have noticed some of the changes.
The new Port Kembla Public school is now located further down, alone a new coastal road. In fact, when we had left the hostel and moved to Lake Heights (Lake Illawarra) a small group of us used to go snorkelling there and it was our secret place because at the time, before the new road was built it was rather difficult to get too.

I�ve been told that the creek which was on the other side of five island road has been cleaned up. You�ll know which one I mean, you had to cross the road and a couple of pairs of railway lines to get to it. The railway lines have also now gone.

I�ve tried getting my brother Shaun to join the forums but he�s not really into the pc game, which is a pity because he has a much better memory of everything than I have. I think his daughter (Louise) spends most of the time on their home pc. Mr. Green

My parents, Len & Mary won�t go near a pc. They think its well over their heads but truth be know and if only they would give it a try, they would soon pick it up, but sadly, they�ve given up even before trying it. I know my mother would love this site as she has many memories of the hostel.

Anyway Ian. Have a browse round and if you see anything you can add too then please do, or if you can remember anything that others may remember then have another bash at creating a thread/ topic. The more memories that can be stirred, the better chances we�ll have of attracting others.
There�s no rush or push here. The topics and reply�s wont go away so when ever you have a few moments to spare then pop back in.

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len,
I was in my later sixties ,about 66, when I started on the computer so I know your parents would love it ,I do . I had wonderful teachers in my brothers and have to admit I learn something new daily. Perhaps Len you could give them lessons. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: