Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colmslie hostel 1958-1960

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Colmslie Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter white

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Colmslie hostel 1958-1960 Reply with quote

Hi,
I,m Peter White,
I went to Colmslie in Februery 1958,We came out from England on SS Orontes.Our family were allocated three rooms for five of us. Iwas 14 years old and went to work at Darling Downs bacon factory
at Murrurie.I enjoyed my stay in the hostel, us young kids had a good time.I climbed the chimney a few times and sat on the rim.We used to dive off the jetty and swim out to the navigation pylon.
I remember going to the movies at Bulimba with other kids from the hostel.It was a good time for us teenagers but not so good for our Mums and Dads. Work was hard to find back then.I Knowa few families only stayed two years and went back to England.
Here are a few names I remember,
CHARLES PRATT and his sister MAUREEN

GARY PARADISE and his brothers
LESLEY CHALLINOR
GWEN BATTLE
PAMELA FAY and BARBARA FAY
JIMMY and DAVID KING

HOPE YOU ARE ALL FIT AND WELL
REGARDS PETER
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter ,
Great to read your post. Smile
My late husband was the Assist. Manager at Colmslie in 1958. He was chubby and his name was Tony Hobbs. We had three children , a dog called Kelpie and a cat called Mushka.

The Manager was Tom Flood and he had two cocker spaniels,One was called Bounce and he was always biting someone.Bit me too Sad

I remember some of the staff too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Colmslie Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: