Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brooklyn hostel 1961

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrissie4444

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Brooklyn hostel 1961 Reply with quote

Hi there, I am new to this forum, currently attempting to write a book about our family's experience at Brooklyn, Altona hostels. It would be great to hear from someone who had spent some time there. I was under 1 when we first arrived in Port Melbourne form the UK. We lived in the migrant hostels for a about 3 years in total. I have vivid memories of living there, just been given some priceless photo's from my Mother of our time spent there. The photo's speak for themselves!
Alan1949

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Brooklyn hostel 1961 Reply with quote

Chrissie4444 wrote:
Hi there, I am new to this forum, currently attempting to write a book about our family's experience at Brooklyn, Altona hostels. It would be great to hear from someone who had spent some time there. I was under 1 when we first arrived in Port Melbourne form the UK. We lived in the migrant hostels for a about 3 years in total. I have vivid memories of living there, just been given some priceless photo's from my Mother of our time spent there. The photo's speak for themselves!

Hi Chrissie4444 I have only just found this sight and this is the first time I have attempted to contact anyone. I was at Brooklyn Hostel from 1958 until 1961 when we returned to England for four years. I have fond memories of the hostel and my mum worked in the canteen, used to go to movies in an old building but I don't think it was a hut, played on the park near the entrance, even played with the managers son, don't know the son's name now, and shoped at the shop which I think was run by Joe Pinder? Remember the fireworks night as well where they had a bonfire and remember the smell that used to come from Borthwicks where we used to collec the tags of the sheeps ears to put them on our belts. I turned 9 on the ship coming out here the old Arcadia and turned 12 on the way back on the Himalaya before returning again in December 1965 on the Orsova. Not sure how this messaging system works so will send this and see what happens - All the best Alan
Chrissie4444

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for sharing that with me Allan, it's been a few years since I wrote it 😀Not going so well with the book, but it's still in the pipeline. If you happen to come across this new post of mine, we can chat some more, hopefully before a few years have passed...I'm trying to work out how to post some great old black & white photos of Brooklyn hostel in 1961 onwards, what a place, not easy to forget!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: