Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colmslie Hostel in Queensland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Colmslie Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Colmslie Hostel in Queensland Reply with quote

I was quite pleased to have found this forum with reference to the Colmslie Hostel in Brisbane, Queensland. My family stayed there for around six months in 1960 after migrating from England. We kids (six of us) also had a great time there and Queensland was planted in us then, even though we soon left for Victoria (1200 klms away) and we grew up there. Several of us have returned to Queensland, including myself. I remember very well my Mum and Dad referring to Mr Flood. We kids used to run wild up and down the Brisbane river, and with the meatworks being close by, we used to see the odd carcass floating down the river and sharks nibbling at it! It was just a wonderful adventure, liberated from the cold closeness of England and yet released to 'go and play' as we were there. I don't think we ever wore shoes, and we could walk over any surface and think nothing of it.
Len

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nita, welcome.
Interesting tale about the sharks nibbling at the carcases.

As kids �during the summer� we used to walk round quite often warring only our flip-flops but most of the time they were worn up our arms as it was painful when ever you tripped and dragged your big toe along the ground.
It was cool being bare foot but you had to watch out for the nice looking grassy patches because often they hid a really spiky thorn. Not sure of the spelling or even the name but we called them bindies and when you got one of those in your foot, you certainly knew about it. grins

Smile
Nita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Wild Qld children Reply with quote

Hi Len

Thanks for your reply. We've been well-educated on those bindies - our lawn is full of them right now. And I haven't ventured out and about without footwear for a long time! Rolling Eyes Can you tell me whether you know if the picture at the top of the screen is the Colmslie Hostel? I can remember living in one of those dome-type huts, but it could have been in Victoria, as we were in a hostel there too. (Norlane)
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nita ,
Lovely to read your posts and great you remember the Floods. We had several months at Colmslie in 1958.
The background photo at the top is Cabramatta Hostel. The one in focus Len will be able to tell you.
Hope you post many memories. I too have many memories of Colmslie and remember the places you mention but didn't see the sharks nibbling any carcasses--eeks not sure if that is spelt correctly. Rolling Eyes
Hampson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Colmslie Hostel Reply with quote

Interesting to read this about Colmslie Hostel, Brisbane, as I lived there from 1952 to 1956 roughly. I was 14 at the time. I remember the abbatoir next to it, and spent many happy hours fishing off the jetty - does anyone remember the pool which was affectionately named Tahiti, you had to walk along the beach away from the abbatoir for about half a mile as I recall, and cross over a fallen log to get to the pool, which I think was a small disused quarry.

I recall spending many happy days there swimming in Tahiti. All of my teens virtually were spent in Colmslie Hostel - it was just a big adventure to me in those days.

Then I moved on to Bulimba Hostel also in Brisbane, to work round about 1956, not a migrant hostel, but well known to quite a few migrants I would imagine.

Wendy Hampson (Sixsmith)
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
My name is Neil Maclachlan and was at Comslie Hostel in 1957/8. My two brothers were John and Ian mum was Janet and dad Neil. I remember doing a lot of fishing from the jetty and going to that swimming hole. I also remember getting into a lot of trouble for climbing up the inside of the big chimney. I will be pleased to here from anybody there at the same time.
gunners

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Mum and Dad (Jim and Hilda Gunner) telling my brother and me of the sharks in the river.

I dont know whether Mr Flood was there in the 1950- 1953?

Jacqueline(first born of twins Rodney second born)
brian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: colmslie hostal Reply with quote

1965 to 1966 we stayed at the hostal from england i remember my dad catching a big eal from the jetty and taking up to the mess hall kitchen were the cook told him were to go with his eal . All us kids had a lot fun back then
Steve D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Colmslie memories Reply with quote

Only just joined and not sure how this site works.. Already posted on one site but will repeat some stuff here anyway. We - the Dutton clan - came out from England on the Strath Nava in 1956 and resided at Colmslie for a fair while. AN ex US Base converted to luxury apartments (!) for we immigrants. I was only 4 years old at the time but I remember Kevin Jordan - my mate who helped me burn down the warehouse near the jetty. My two brothers (Ken and Tony) used to hitch a ride home on the trains after school and get off at the abattoir. If anyone responds I will expand further on the life and times. Regards; Steve..
brian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: chimney Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Hi All,
My name is Neil Maclachlan and was at Comslie Hostel in 1957/8. My two brothers were John and Ian mum was Janet and dad Neil. I remember doing a lot of fishing from the jetty and going to that swimming hole. I also remember getting into a lot of trouble for climbing up the inside of the big chimney. I will be pleased to here from anybody there at the same time.
hi neal i to climbed that chimney got caught and got into a lot of trouble the last time i climbed but had all really been up 3 times before I got caught in 1965
Steve D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: chimney Reply with quote

brian wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi All,
hi neal i to climbed that chimney got caught and got into a lot of trouble the last time i climbed but had all really been up 3 times before I got caught in 1965

We (the Dutton's) arrived at Colmslie in Apr 1956 and were there for about two years.. My brothers (Ken and Tony) would also climb the chimney stack. There was a huge Mango tree next to it as well. We Poms had never seen these before and certainly took advantage. Went to school at Cannon Hill for a while before heading out to the new suburb of Inala . We used to go to 'Tahiti'where the bolder kids jumped of the edge into the water - not a really good idea as I believe the Americans dumped a fair bit of unwanted equipment into it before they left and, if you went deep enough, you could touch it with your feet. I had two older sisters as well - Paula and Jane.

cry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Colmslie Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: