Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Map of site of East Hills Hostel 1949

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Map of site of East Hills Hostel 1949 Reply with quote

Attached is a copy of the map of the future site of East Hills Hostel in 1949. I now have some 318 pages of documents covering the decision to procure the land and build the site. These documents are now available to the public on the National Archives of Australia site. Of interest is "Area 53" which would become East Hills Migrant Hostel and "Area 19" which would become Heathcote Hostel. Sirrius road does not yet exist at this stage and was put in for the Hostel. "Area 73" was also purchased, but was given over to the Naval dept for servicemen accommodation. Also of note is of the existence of East Hills Park at this time. The property was in the Parish of Holsworthy.

Last edited by richardhallford on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
GinaKate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I am the only one who thinks this way, but I'm fascinated by a map proposed in 1949 in anticipation of our future home, and the beginning of a strange new life for many of us who were not even born yet.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not the only one Gina. I am fascinated by history and what went on before to help form what is now.
Im currently sorting out the documents in chronological order, as they arent that way in the package. I can see already the pattern of development that went on via discussions in documents between the various bodies involved. There have been many discussions re East Hills Hostel being an ex army camp. This is completely untrue. It was purpose built expressly for Migrants and in fact is referred too in several documents as the British Migrant Hostel. The Army owned the land originally, but it was bought by the Dept of Works for a little less than $4000 for the lot!
Also, the Naval houses that were given to the Navy (the ones on the right hand side up Sirrius Road, was given away without anyone telling the Army. There is a nasty letter from the Army saying that no one had told them anything. Oops. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: