Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BERKELEY MIGRANT HOSTEL:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fergie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were over 2000 immigrants staying at the Berkeley Migrant Hostel during the early 1950's, most of the men went to work at Pt Kembla, and many moved in Housing Commission cottages nearby. By 1969 the Dept of Housing {DOH] owned 1798 properties in Berkeley. Now it is 800. Berkeley demographics show that there are 7511 people living here, of whom 73% are Australian born, 8% came from the UK, 3% from Macedonia, and 1% came each from Viet Nam, Germany and Italy. 55% own or are buying their own homes and 40% rent [but it doesn't say whether DOH or private rentals] or how the other 5% live!

What happened to all those people who chose to come to Berkeley? and what about their children who were born here?

A reunion might be an idea.

There must be some movers and shakers amongst those original immigrants and their children who did well and moved on.

Len

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fergie
Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the info about the Berkeley Hostel site back in the 1950's.
I should imagine that most of the people who had once stayed at Berkeley Hostel would now be spread all over the country/ world.
Would be good thou, if we got a few of them on here and was able to chat about old times, good or bad.
Fergie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my house in Berkeley late in 2003 from a Mr. Long who told me he and his wife moved here to a DOH fibro cottage in 1953 [50 years ago]. He worked at Pt Kembla, and she was a dressmaker working from home. They had 3 daughters.
They bought the house from the DOH, extended and brick veneered it. When the family grew up and moved out it was too big,Mrs. Long got sick and the garden [and house] became neglected.
After Mrs. Long died early in 2003, he went travelling, found an ideal situation, and decided to sell the Berkeley house and move there.
This story must have been repeated thousands of times at Berkeley.
Felvo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a reunion would be a marvellous idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: