Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Hills hostel 1954 -58

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Issy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: East Hills hostel 1954 -58 Reply with quote

We lived at 51c from March 1954 to January 1958 when we moved to our new home in Minto. Dad (Art) worked for the army at Moorbank and Mum (Lil) worked as a useful on the hostel. My brother Arthur and I went to Hammondville Public School. Arthur has a fantastic memory for the residents and where they lived. I remember quite a lot too. Anyone on the Forum who lived there at the same time? Isabel Saville
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: 1954 to 1958 Reply with quote

Hi Issy, do you remember Irene Cross, Pat Hurley or Margarete that married Peter Perkins from Heathcote Camp. From Heathcote do you remember my sister (Carol), Pat Kelly, Rose Aldridge, Lucy Reid, Pam Kirkwood or the other Pam in the New Year photo of Crouchers.......thanks, Norm
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Issy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember Irene Cross and will ask my brother to jog my memory re the others. I'll get back to you. We came over on the Himalaya (P & O). Originally bound for Melbourne but destination changed whilst on board. Issy
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Great News Reply with quote

Thanks Issy, I have been trying to find, locate or have news of Irene for so long now, I could have walked to England and back in the same time. I did hear a whisper that Irene may have returned to England. You have more than likely read that we were on the Strathaird, also originaly bound for Victoria but like so many changed to bound for Botany Bay. How well did you know Irene ?....Norm
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Issy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Norm, my brother will be coming to see me on Thursday and will show him the names you're interested in. Particularly Irene. Her father was Reg wasn't it? Issy
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Irene Reply with quote

Hi Issy, did your brother visit you yet, any news regarding Irene, I believe one of the Hurley girls could be living in Katoomba...Thanks and enjoy your Christmas 2012
Issy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not posting sooner, I've been unwell and had some problems. My brother will be here on Tuesday and I will get him to look at your previous posting. He'll be flying out to Australia in a couple of weeks time for his usual 3 months visit to family and friends.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Follow Up Reply with quote

Hi Issy, I hope you feeling better and had a good Christmas. I did send you a message through P.M........Is there anything you can tell me of Irene (Cross) we were very good friends mid 1956 through to about October/December. I lost touch as a result of my Fathers transfer to another Hostel. Anything at all will help. I cant remember if her dads name was Reg, but it sorta rings a bell. Irene was at home from school (ill), I wagged school to be with her for the day....that was around August (?) 1956.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Issy, just wondering if you would remember my Mum's family who were at the hostel from 1954 to 1958 as well. Norman, Dorothy Edemensen who both worked in the Canteen and there kids Margaret, Christine, Barbara, Karen, Brian and Bob Jillings who came and stayed sometimes. Mum said she can't remember the number they were in but were in the second row, hut cloest to the canteen on the hall/ church side and thinks there may have been an office that side 2. Mandy
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Irene Cross (single name 1956) Reply with quote

Hi Issy....round and round thr proverbial bush....still looking....I hope your health is ok and your brother enjoyed his trip back to Oz. Still putting bits to my puzzle, 2 of Irene's friends; one was blond and from Scotland (Margarete ?), she had a brother named Andy, a bit of a boxer. Another was Christine, dark hair, had a boyfriend named Ray, he was I think, the first to have a motor bike at EH Hostel.......take care....Norm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: