Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broughton (Burwood) Hostel 1959-1961

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peefer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Broughton (Burwood) Hostel 1959-1961 Reply with quote

Hey all. This sure seems to be a great site. It brings back a few memories (albeit faint).
My name is Paul Flanagan and I arrived in Australia on the Fairsky in 1959 with my father Fred, my mother Clare and my brother Tony and sister Lorraine.
We lived at Broughton from 1959 until 1961 and I attended Burwood Infants School.
I don't have many memories of the place but I do remember climbing the big trees and eating rabbit and tapioca in the canteen.
Keep up the good work with the forum.
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Tony Flanagan Reply with quote

Hi I think I remember your brother Tony, I asked one of my friends from Burwood Hostel and she says we did know a Tony Flanagan he had moved off the Hostel but still came back to see all of us could that be your brother? Katherine
Peefer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine
I only have vague recollections of Burwood. Unfortunately I don't remember any names. Tony now lives in Mt Gambier in South Australia and drives big trucks interstate. I keep trying to convince him to retire but he loves his job.
If you have any information you would like me to pass on to him, I would be happy to do that.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peefa,

Enjoyed your post but did you say rabbit !!!!!!!! It was never on any of the menues. Surprised
I remember eating lots of rabbit as a child in New Zealand. It was sold in the butcher shops and the meat was lean and very good for you. It is not sold now.though some folk still eat it.. Poor little bunnies cry I'm pleased I am a vegetarian Smile .
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still sold in Victoria, and costs an arm and a leg!
Katherine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peefa, If you are in touch with Tony I think he would remember Terry Scrase also Alec McLean and Phil can not remember surname. I know he should remember Wendy as she adored him! Lots of teenagers would come back in the evenings to sit in the park I think they missed the hostel, Cheers K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: